Join now - be part of our community!

Sony STR DN 1040 HDMI passthrough function not working

Chaudax
Explorer

Sony STR DN 1040 HDMI passthrough function not working

I bought a STR DN1040 AV receiver on 29/12 and the HDMI pass through function is not working. I have control for HDMI set to ON and pass through Auto. There is no ON option only Off or auto! When I switch the receiver off the picture and sound from the TV comes through but after 20 secs there is a clicking noise from the receiver and the screen goes blank and also no sound. I called Sony and reset the receiver but still the same problem. I called back Sony and they said return the amp and get a new one. I did this but I still have exactly the same problem with the new receiver. I have checked and even changed the HDMI cables and changed the TV but the problem is still there. I have the latest firmware after an update. I am now seriously thinking of returning the amp and getting my money back. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?. Thanks
128 REPLIES 128
profile.country.GB.title
BollyDave

@Harrywillis Yes I just updated my amp the other day, partly in the vain hope the f/w update would deliver the non-existent HDMI passthrough feature the device is advertised as having. Specifically I was hoping to see the HDMI options change from Auto/Off to Auto/Off/On, as I believe those options are available in other regions and may (by using ON setting) resolve the passthrough fail.

What I should mention though is the reason I reluctantly updated it was in the hope it may reinstate SEN vTuner connectivity. For those of you who haven't discovered this yet, what did work until approx 5.9.14, now doesn't. Sony/vTuner is dead. So much for internet radio on a device which does not have DAB. 

There is another thread on this one at vTuner not working any more where there is an increasing perception that Sony are not being completely open about the root cause, nor when it will be fixed. Communication has been appalling, and customers contacting Sony support are still getting the usual 1st line runaround of switching things on and off, updating firmware or resetting to factory defaults. For anyone in this position, which you will be if you own a 1040, don't bother wasting your time. The issue is somewhere within Sony/vTuner. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone (and @MK_Slinky  - if your still around)

Im kinda needing peoples assistance. I was wondering if you guys can test the pass-through with HDMI-CEC functions (HDMI Control) OFF on the DN1040 itself.  If its off already, can you turn it on instead? 

(reason I ask, is that I may have an ear of one of the Sony engineers on this one, so.....)

You may have already done this before, but.....  can you try again please.

If it still fails, can you please reply back with the following

• Brand/Model of TV
  • What type of brand/model device connected to the DN1040

Dont care if its not Sony :slight_smile:

MK_Slinky - I note that you have tried this on the TV from the other thread : HERE

Thanks all

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi Quinnicus, everbody...

Of note,

I have recently purchased a Sony BDP-S7200 Blu-ray player and in the instructions the following advice is given, this advice seems to have been omitted from the STR-DN1040 manual and I believe this may have finally helped me solve this pass through issue!!

The [Control for HDMI] function does not work (BRAVIA Sync).

Check that [Control for HDMI] in [HDMI Settings] is set to [On]

If you change the HDMI connection, turn the player off and on again.

If power failure occurs, set [Control for HDMI] in [HDMI Settings] to [Off], then set [Control for HDMI] in
[HDMI Settings] to [On].

If you're following the advice given in your STR-DN1040/50 manual, it states clearly that whenever you connect or disconnect any devices you should power off the device and un-plug it, hence this would be classed as a power failure. Therefore the last paragraph in the instructions above (coloured green) seems to apply, I believe this is what has solved my issue with pass through not working correctly.

Here are my own Settings, some may or may not be relevant:

Panasonic Viera TV - Settings Menu

[Setup Menu]

Viera Link - [ON]

Power On Preference - [TV]

[Sound Menu]

HDMI 1 Input - [Digital]

(option only displayed when my connected Panasonic DVD Recorder is powered on)

Panasonic DVD Hard Drive Recorder - Setup Menu

HDMI Settings - Viera Link - [ON]

Sony BDP-S7200 Blu-Ray Player - Settings Menu

HDMI Control - [ON]

Linked to TV OFF - [OFF]

Sony STR-DN1040 - Theatre Receiver

Pass Through - [AUTO]

HDMI Control - [ON]

Audio Out - [AMP]

If you have read this far, please note that previously pass through did not work using these settings, following the advice in the green paragraph above seems to have solved the mystery. :slight_smile:

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Apologies for my last post, I made a rather important omission which I am sure some of you will wonder what has HDMI Control got to do with anything? Well quite possibly nothing! Accept of course if you read that green paragraph above.  If you also apply that same theory to the Pass Through setting it might just work for you also.

Try this in this order:

First power down all devices and then unplug them from the mains.

Re-connect everything and power on the TV and STR-DN1040

Now cycle the Pass Through OFF & then to AUTO again on the STR-DN1040

Hopefully pass through should now work! It certainly does for me. :slight_smile:

Well it only took me 5 months!! What a headache!!

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Some of you will have already seen the other posts about this feature not working on some setups. I've struggled with getting this to work for 5 months now and to be honest those other posts have become quite confusing to follow with all the experimenting that has taken place. 

Therefore I'm creating this new post in the hope that it will be seen by those still struggling with this issue. I believe I have at long last found the solution.

Try this in this order:

First power down all devices and then unplug them from the mains.

Re-connect everything and power on the TV and STR-DN1040 AV/Receiver

On the STR-DN1040, go to the 'Home Menu' -- 'HDMI Settings', and then cycle the Pass Through [OFF] & then to [AUTO] again.

Hopefully pass through should now work!

For those of you wondering how I came across this solution, well it was just trial and error. I haven't changed any connections, asides disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI leads during my troubleshooting process, all HDMI connectors are still attached to their original ports as per my initial setup. The only difference being is that pass-through now works whereas previously it did not.

I'm currently on day three now and pass-through is still working flawlessly...,  yey!!  :smileyhappy:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you MK_Slinky :thumbsup:

Would be interesting if someone could confirm this ?

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Thanks Quinnicus!

I'm awaiting further feedback with baited breath on this one. Given the hours, days, weeks I've spent troubleshooting this on my own system it would be nice to have finally solved it and given back to the community.

What clinched it for me was that line about HDMI Control not working in my BDP-S7200 Blu-ray manual. If the advice given there was to disable HDMI control and then re-enable it after a power failure could that same principle apply to the Pass Through functionality on the STR-DN1040 receiver? Does this receiver perhaps forget what was connected prior to power failure?

In the manual for the STR-DN1040 it advices powering down and un-plugging the system before making any connections. Ultimately doing so would be the same as having a power failure, It could be that those who've experienced this issue just need to reset Pass Through OFF then to AUTO again.

I cannot think of any other cause. As I said in my first post above, I have made all the same connections, the only thing I have done different is reset Pass Through.

Fingers crossed........!

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Anyone trying to follow this thread and confused by all the duplicated advice, sorry! Don't blame me.., someone in their infinite wisdom has moved my new post to this one! I understand the logic in their decision but now I fear the people I am trying to help will over-look this advice.

Simply put, a search for 'HDMI Pass Through Solved' will now yield no results! :slight_frown:

Such is life.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi MK_Slinky,

your post has temporarily been marked as the solution therefore if anyone searches for HDMI Pass Through this thread appears at the top of the list & includes a green tick which indicates that the thread contains a solution..:smileywink:

MK_Slinky wrote:

Simply put, a search for 'HDMI Pass Through Solved' will now yield no results! :slight_frown:

Such is life.

So all is not lost..:smileythumbsup:

Harrywillis

Not wanting to spoil the party, but I tried your suggestion last night and it did NOT solve the pass through problem of the amp cutting the signal after around 30 seconds.

i will try again but I have my doubts...