Join now - be part of our community!

STR-DH820 IR Remote IN/OUT IR Repeater

profile.country.sv_SE.title
netroize
Visitor

STR-DH820 IR Remote IN/OUT IR Repeater

Hi,

I have just bought a STR-DH820 receiver. Does anyone know how the IR Remote IN/OUT works?

The manual show that it's possible to control the receiver from another room (Zon 2) with a IR Repeater conected to the IR Remote IN.

But is it true that IR Remote OUT can forward IR signal out to other conected boxes?

I have a Bluray player and a Satelite receiver in a cabinet thats possible to close.

If true what should i buy and conect to the IR Remote OUT to do this?

Does it work with IR eyes from most IR suppliers?

E.g.:

http://www.kjell.com/sortiment/ljud-bild/tv-tillbehor/fjarrkontroller/ir-link/extra-ir-ogon-till-660...

Best regards

netroize

Message was edited by: netroize

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.en_GB.title
rgould9
Visitor

Hi Netroize

Did you ever find out how the IR In and OUT functions work? I'm looking to do something similar to you - the STR-DH820 is in a glass cabinet that I can see, but the Freeview box is not visible. I'm hoping to connect the IR OUT to an IR repeater cable and route it near the IR sensor on the front of the Freeview box. In that way, pointing the Sony remote at the 820 should control the Freeview box. I have ordered a cheap IR repeater, but would love to know, in advance, whether this will work.

Regards

Russell

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

Maybe go and check it out at your local Sony Centre as they are normally really good with this kind of thing and usually have the products on display.

Thanks

netroize
Visitor

Hi,

The extra IR eyes at Kjell & Company was a product called Emitter Cable with 3 Eyes from Digiality. Kjell & Company let me try them without charge but they didn't work.

So currently I don't have any product that's a solution to my problem.

Unfortunately there are no local Sony Centre in Linköping Sweden. 

I had hoped that some one at Sony maybe also read the questions here and maybe write an answer...

I will inform you if I find a solution.

Best regards

netroize

aapierre
Visitor

If I undertsand your issue - I hope i do

You want to be able to close the cupboard where your kit is and have a remote control still send its signal to the kit in the cupboard

I have a tv mounted on the wall with my sky hd box, av amplifier STR-DH820 in the cupboard out of the way.

I use this little bit of kit http://www.amazon.co.uk/MARMITEK-POWERMID-WIRELESS-CONTROL-EXTENDER/dp/B0013DHGCI/ref=sr_1_7?s=elect...

the transmitter sits on the tv and when i point any of my remotes at it and press a button - it converts the infra red signal into radio frequency and transmits it to its little receiver in my cupboard.  The receiver then converts it back to infra red and bounces it around the cupboard.

It works a treat

netroize
Visitor

Hi,

Yes you have understood what I would like to do.

However my STR-DH820 is outside the cabinet and my Bluray player and a Satellite receiver are in the cabinet.

And yes, there are a lot of IR products that can be used for controlling equipment in a cabinet.

But my main point is that I want to use the IR Remote OUT on my STR-DH820 to control the

equipment in the cabinet if possible. Since it's there and it wouldn't need any extra space nor electricity cables and would there fore be a much nicer solution than another set of extra boxes. But what IR-product have Sony had in mind to do that when they implemented the IR Remote OUT?

Best regards

netroize