Join now - be part of our community!

TalkTalk/Tiscali iPlayer issues Blu-ray

profile.country.en_GB.title
PeterJ101
Visitor

TalkTalk/Tiscali iPlayer issues Blu-ray

I've a BDP S570 and a EX732 and iplayer has worked ok until last few days. Its great when it works! But over the last few days it now runs out of memory loading the home page and goes into a loop of re-trying until I press HOME to break out of it. Very frustrating. I've been scanning the message boards and lots of folks have been having problems but not seen any mention of this one. Is there a fix or is it just another BBC problem?

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Message was edited by: Catmambo

80 REPLIES 80
profile.country.GB.title
DerekWa
New

Good to read that someone has resolved your problems with connecting to BBC iPlayer. Unfortunately, it seems that whatever they did to fix one problem has caused another elsewhere.

Having been a very happy user of the iPlayer for the last couple of months, I have now started getting the same error messages - “There is not enough memory” and “Recovery was made automatically. There is not enough memory.”

Like others on this thread my Blu-ray BDP-S370 seems to be trying to load up the standard iPlayer webpage rather than the 'Big screen version'.

Can someone tell me who I need to speak to to resolve the issue? As far as I can see it may be the BBC, my ISP (Telecom Plus/Utility Warehouse) or Sony.

I hadn't changed any of the settings on my BDP-S370 so I assume it must be one of those 3 who is responsible.

5jackos
Visitor

I agree, this is the second time I have posted but trusted that it was being resolved. I bought my 370 in early December and iplayer has hardly ever worked. It is now beyond a joke!

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi DerekWa

The issue is down to how some ISP's handle iPlayer requests, thus Tiscali and the BBC are working on resolving the issue at the moment for Tiscali customers, majority of other ISP's seem to be ok (judging by threads on here), but if you are saying that Telecom Plus has a problem then maybe it affects their customers also.

Thanks

zundappbob
Visitor

Just FYI, I have a Vodaphone Business ISP and the problem is still there...it would be nice if someone could get on top of this,..

paulgrecothompson
Visitor

Another FYI - I got back from a weekend away to find the exact same problem in all its ugliness has returned. Absolute JOKE!  FUMING!  How hard can it be to make software that works with any internet provider?  The internet manages it okay!

paulgrecothompson
Visitor

Okay, just got it working again - this time I reset my router and I mean RESET it.. poked something small in the reset hole and factory defaulted it. This meant the pass key changed back to the original one back on the box (I had set up a hex key on it).  Before I was turning the power off to restart the router - this time I did a full reset. I also factory resetted the bluray and its internet content.. set up the blu ray again, set up the wireless connection with the new pass key, refreshed the internet content.. and iplayer is back to former glories for now.

I don't know how much of this is necessary - or whether the problem went away on itws own while I was restarting everything - but it appears to have done the trick for now.

Will keep you posted.

paulgrecothompson
Visitor

Okay, so I thought I'd put some step by step instructions for those suffering from this infernal "There is not enough memory" curse on the Sony Bravia Iplayer software... and streaming / buffering / slow operation problems.  These methods worked for me.. I have a Sony Bluray BDP-S370 and I'm on Tiscali (now under the Talk Talk umbrella, but still the old Tiscali set-up) which is where most of the problems seem to be.  The method should work for other networks and Sony Bravia TVs/players etc but the refreshing / factory resetting steps may differ depending on what device you have.  In all cases, play around with your device until you can achieve the same result.

Problem: Sony Bravia Iplayer keeps very stupidly trying to load the (usually radio) PC version of Iplayer's home page, then crashing because "there is not enough memory" before attempting "recovery" and going round in circles till I actually want to kill myself.

Solution:

1) Reset everything on your Sony device.  On the BDP-S370, from the player's home page, you go to "Resetting" - "Reset to Factory Default Settings" - then scroll down to "All settings" and reset away.  Then go to "Resetting" - "Initalize Personal Information" - then click okay to reset all your internet settings.  Your device should now be reset, and all the internet service icons will have disappeared.  This is all fine and groovy.

2) Reset your router - for the less technically minded, this is the box plugged into your phone socket that gives you the internet.  If it has wireless, it will have an antenna and usually has a load of little green lights on it!  When I say reset it, I mean reset it fully - turning off and on won't cut it I'm afraid. Look for a reset hole that you poke something thin into to press a button and hold it till the lights go off and it starts to reset (this is so you can't do it by accident).  If you can't find this, refer to the instructions and look for factory default resetting.

You will now may have to go through a couple of steps to get the internet going again just as you did the first time you set up - my PC browser wanted my username (with Tiscali, that's your main email) and password again.. which my browser had remembered so I just had to click connect.  Also bear in mind, the wireless key (password) and network SSID (name) will be reset to the one the box came with - both normally printed on the box.  If this is not the pass key you used before (maybe you changed it), you will have to remember to change all your wireless-using devices - phones, video consoles etc - to use this password.  Or you could go through the steps to change your password again.. but who knows, maybe that's contributing to the problem?  Once all the lights are back on your router (most importantly the "wireless" one), you can go back to your Sony device.

Okay, now go to "Set up" - "Easy set up" - and set up your device like you did the first time you got it.

Then go to "Network Settings" - "Internet Settings" then set up your internet connection again with "wired set up" or "USB wireless setup" if you use a dongle.  Set up the connection as before, but remember the pass key for your system may have changed.. now it will be the original pass key usually printed on the box.  One more thing - don't forget, those wireless keys (passwords) can be case sensitive.. if you need capital letters, the password set up screen on Bravia - which acts a bit like an old mobile phone texting system - has a button at the bottom which switches to capital letters ("ABC") .. thought I'd mention as, I came a cropper with this!

When you are all connected, go to "Video" and click the icon that says something like "Get internet services" or some such like.  The player will then connect and bring back the icons - iplayer, lovefilm etc - to the video column.  Now choose Iplayer and it SHOULD repeat SHOULD work.. if it doesn't, cry a lot.  If it does, let me know.. it's always nice to know you helped.

Problem: when I use Sony Bravia Iplayer, the pictures freezes and that effing circle spins so many times, I find myself running to the kitchen to make a stiff drink before the wife clouts me because apparently this is my fault.

Solutions:

This is to do with "buffering" - when you "stream" a programme.. watch it on the internet without downloading the whole thing.. it downloads enough information so you can watch the bit you are at, and has the bit just ahead of where you are ready, then steadily more as it's needed.  If connection or software is slow, the player will come to a point where the information isn't ready, and it will freeze till it is ready.  You can get round this is in a number of ways without upgrading your broadband package..

1) If you are using wireless, you need to optimise your signal.  Go to "Set up" - "Internet settings" - then "View network status".  The signal strength is half way down, expressed as a percentage.   Now, my wired broadband connection upstairs is about 9 meg (24 meg my a**se!) and I find I need a signal of 97-100% on the dongle to watch the "high quality" (not HD) Iplayer content uninterrupted.  Bravia uses "high quality" by default.  To achieve that signal, I plugged the USB extension cable that came with the dongle into the back, the dongle into the extension base which gives a bit of movement.  If your router is upstairs, generally the higher your dongle is, the better the signal you get.  Also crucial is the position of your router - and you should experiment with the antenna.  Pointing one way, my signal was 45%, pointing the opposite way, it was almost always 100%.

2) If you are having trouble getting a good signal, or your broadband connection is just very cr*p generally, it's time to reduce the amount of information you need to buffer by reducing the quality of the Iplayer programmes.  Don't worry - the effect is noticeable to the trained eye, but won't hamper the viewing pleasure of vaguely normal people.  From Bravia's Iplayer homepage, go down to "settings" at the bottom, click on it, then scroll down to "video quality" - click on it, then choose "normal".  When you have done this click "back" or the return button on your remote till you are back to the home page.  Then choose your programme.

3) Another tip, if you're not impatient to get viewing, is to pause your programme at the start for a few minutes (while you make a cup of tea?) to give the buffering a head start.  This can make "high quality" viewings less interrupted in my experience.  Though since I've got my signal up to 100% give or take, I rarely need to do this.  A combination of steps 1 and 2 should mean you shouldn't need to resort to this.  Interestingly though, I've never had buffering problems with Lovefilm because that TESTS your connection and gives you the right settings.  This is how it should work (Sony and BBC take note) - people of my mum and dad's generation don't want to be faffing doing signal tests, changing quality settings and doing workarounds.  So sort it!

Finally, if all I have said, seems too daunting, get someone with a vaguely tech brain to read this and help you.  Once you've been shown, it will be a doddle.

Good luck!!!

Paul.

archer11
Visitor

I have read all the info , reset all the network settings. reset sony blu ray player

reset network printer .Then tried the sony bluray player on bbc i player

guess what IT ALL WORKED

looks like this is the fix!!

ps i am on tiscali many thanks

i do hope now i can use my christmas gift without any problems

chris

Notveryhappy
Explorer

Help spoke to sony today about my bdp-s570. No issues according to them. Wanted me to take it to a repair agent.

Tried my isp Primus for proxy server (tiscali) only cheaper!!! No idea what i wanted.

So does anyone know the tiscali proxy settings?

Its been asked before but everyone keeps giving the virgin settings. Although we have another machine working fine on virgin!!!!

Why are you having to reset anything it should work. There really is no excuse for this its only got to connect to a website!!!!!

Mine is going back this weekend if not resolved.

So if anyone has a real permanenet fix it would be most helpfull..

Phrilly
Visitor

I have a similar problem using Manx Telecom's broadband service, seems like a few us here stuck in the same boat.  Would be useful if we could get to understand the nature of the issue and what the Virgin Media proxy site is doing differently than their normal site.  The router reset solution doesn't work for me, I'm not really sure how it could do as it seems to be an issue around how the ISP is translating the S370's request to serve the iplayer home page.  Anybody got any more detail about how the ISP would be able to distinguish between a PC making a request and the S370?

Phil