Join now - be part of our community!

UBP X800 no DTS or Dolby Digital when connected with digital coax

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Deanscooterboye
Explorer

UBP X800 no DTS or Dolby Digital when connected with digital coax

UBP X800 connected to a Denon AV amp with a digital coaxial lead. Plays Blu Ray movies with a DTS soundtrack but if I play a Blu Ray audio disc or DVD audio disc it will not play with DTS or Dolby Digital.

Sony suggested connecting to the TV with a HDMI then optical to my amp. This would mean having the Tv on just to be able to play a CD.

Any reason why this is happening? 

The only solution I can see is to get a HDMI to optical convertor to connect to my amp.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Deanscooterboye
Explorer

Got a bit further on. I have altered the BD audio mix setting to "OFF" and my Bluray audio discs now play back in DTS. Just need to get my DVD audio disc to play in DTS now, still trying.

View solution in original post

profile.country.GB.title
Deanscooterboye
Explorer

Just changed the DVD audio playback from DVD audio to DVD video AND IT WORKED! DVD audio now in DTS, I am a happy man.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

@Deanscooterboye

Hi,

I do not own a Denon Amp and I am not sure if your model has a HDMI port. If it does the UBP X800 has two HDMI ports on the back, port 2 is version 1.4 for audio only and port 1 is version 2.0 HDCP 2.2 enabled for 4K video (and audio). Have you tried ditching the coax' and connecting using HDMI port 2 for audio assuming this is possible ? If your Denon has 4K pass through (HDMI port has to be 2.0 HDCP 2.2) you can connect the UBP X800 HDMI port 1 straight to it otherwise connect this to the relevant port on your television.

See here with reference to page 11

A bit of a mouthful I know but the owners manual simplifies it using schematics. Once you have decided on the best connection be sure to check out the X800 settings for audio, these have a big impact on the audio type you are hearing.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards

If it ain't broke don't fix it
profile.country.GB.title
Deanscooterboye
Explorer

Hello Jonnie1266. My Denon does not have HDMI inputs. I think I will have to convert HDMI to optical. Just seems odd that Bluray films play with DTS or Dolby Digital. Waiting for a reply from Sony.

profile.country.GB.title
Deanscooterboye
Explorer

Got a bit further on. I have altered the BD audio mix setting to "OFF" and my Bluray audio discs now play back in DTS. Just need to get my DVD audio disc to play in DTS now, still trying.

profile.country.GB.title
Deanscooterboye
Explorer

Just changed the DVD audio playback from DVD audio to DVD video AND IT WORKED! DVD audio now in DTS, I am a happy man.

profile.country.FR.title
etieno
New

Hello everyone,

I have just received my sony UBP X800  DVD player

One of my main application is to watch operas while listening to the sound of my HIFI setup.

To do some, I would like to connect the DVD player to my DAC (Auralic) through the coaxial cable.

But nothing happens.

Is this due to an unproper setup of is the DVD player faulty ?

Thanks all for your answers

étienne

profile.country.GB.title
Deanscooterboye
Explorer

Have you tried connecting without the DAC?