Join now - be part of our community!

2011 Sony Bravia models do not support AVI (OpenDML) file format

profile.country.en_LT.title
Ignukas
Explorer

2011 Sony Bravia models do not support AVI (OpenDML) file format

It seems currently 2011 Bravia models support MPEG-4 video format natively, but only at SD resolutions. Is there a chance this limitation would be removed anytime soon? This limitation prevents MPEG-4 HD videos from being played from HDD or DLNA. On DLNA transcoding can be used to play these, but then all MPEG-4 videos would be transcoded. And finally - if MPEG-4 is already there, why should we watch poor quality transcoded videos?

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

I've never specifically come across an OpenDML avi file although a bit of Googling turns up a bunch of results. Judging by broader internet trends, many users seem to have abandoned .avi container for video, instead switching to .mp4 or .mkv as it offers more benefits such as better compatibility. Always recommend the very good 'Handbrake' software if you are after batch converting video files into .mp4.

Thanks

Ignukas
Explorer

Not user friendly at all! If I was the only one at home I might bother with converters etc. But not my wife...

I wonder if Serviio is able to detect different AVI versions? I do not want to transcode AVI files supported by TV, as it reduces quality significantly.

I just want to turn on TV, find my video and play it. But because of this file format support inconsistency at least one third of my files are not playable without additional hasle. And I cannot accept it. Sorry!

As ultimate solution I see changing my TV to Apple's one once it is available and use AirPlay. No need for converters or DLNA servers! No need to transcode and loose quality! If Sony doesn't want to give acceptable user experience - Apple does...

P.S. There are many more people having the issue. One of several similar issues on Serviio forum: http://forum.serviio.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3683

The problem is that in most cases the issue is incorrectly identified as HD/SD or codec issue.

Cheers

profile.country.en_GB.title
Batfinkk

But this is the point - .avi is diminishing rapidly in popularity and use of this particular flavour of avi is basically non existent. Batch convert all your legacy files to mp4 as a one off and you are all set, its not even a manual job. Curious as to the source of these files and if they are still being supplied in this format. Any quality loose is likely to be negligible, but have you tried to see what the results are like?

Are we talking about the same Apple, the masters of proprietary and closed ecosystems? You'd prefer to move from a open platform and standards to a closed one?

Apple TV today natively doesn't support anything other than its own formats. 3rd party apps have incredibly mixed success with streaming, so I personally wouldn't hold out for Apple TV to be the perfect solution.

Ignukas
Explorer

Lets compare two thigs:

Currently: When I want to watch a video (and about one third of my videos I get are .avi) I try to play it using Serviio server on my Mac. Very likely it wouldn't work. If so I have to convert it (the only option to play it from USB drive), or transcode it on DLNA. And lets be honest - OpenDML is not the single case...

Converting is not something my wife would be able to do on her own every time something new is on our library (and I travel a lot, so most of the time she's home alone).

DLNA is very nice thing if not transcoding as it brings quality issues: inconsitent aspect ratios, lower frame rate and other. Still I could live with this if it worked. But in this particular case Sony Bravia does play .avi files, but not all of them (actually a small portion of those as the supported AVI only allows file sizes up to 2 GB). So I have to use one profile to play supported AVI files, and another to play newer (17 years old) AVI file format files. Why!?

Using "proprietary and closed" Apple solution: Open the file on VLC or any other player on my Mac. Click Airplay and choose Apple TV to extend your desktop. now you can watch whatever you want on your TV regardless of codec, file format and without quality loss. You can also download free "Remote" apps to your mobile in order to control the thing.

Well, I'd say it's better (at least for me) something "proprietary and closed" and working than something not working or working inconsistently. And Sony doesn't make it easier.

Of course there are downsides. But all I want when I come back home for weekend is to sit back, relax and not deal with video converters, profile tweeking etc. I've done enough of this when I was student.

Cheers