Join now - be part of our community!

4k kd55x9005abu

4k kd55x9005abu

I've got my 4k films from sony and are playing them through a sony bdps790 but I can't enable the masterd in 4k mode in picture setting it says not supported with this signal......am I doing anything wrong?????
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

There is a couple of things that needs to be cleared up firstly: 

There is no such thing as a 4K bluray disc.  A bluray disc holds approximately 50GB of data which basically means a 4K movie will not fit on a disc.  Currently Sony in conjuction with Panasonic are developing the next generation format.  See HERE for more details.  Now considering that there is no such thing as a 4K disc, this means there is no such thing as a 4K bluray player.

So what does "Mastered in 4K" really mean - what Sony have been doing is going back to the original video footage and scanning it digitally in either 4K or higher resolution : hence mastered in 4K.  They will then transfer that onto disc in 1080p (HD) resolution.  Theoretically this would be higher quality, as the source is higher quality.  It "may" also make a slight differece when your TV upscales the 1080p film to 4K resolution.  Sony has also increased the bitrate for which the movie plays back at (hence using more space on the disc)

Now in regards to your problem - According to this: HERE

Mastered in 4k.jpg

You need to set Scene Select to Cinema firstly. 

Hopefully this helps.