Join now - be part of our community!

Android OS on 4K TVs

Gazzahuk
Explorer

Android OS on 4K TVs

I have just got a 4K KD-49X8505B 2 weeks ago.

will there be a software update / firmware upgrade to make it Android tv!!

If not way?

As the Preloaded software is rubbish very slow and the apps are a joke

Thanks

Gazza

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I think here are two chances on having 2014 TVs upgraded to the Android OS and they are Zero and None.  If your not happy with the TV you have purchased, you need to contact the retailer you purchased it from.

Cheers

voodoomedoodoo
Explorer

Bit of an abrupt reply.  So basically if you have just bought yourself a brand spanking new 4k TV, which I did at Christmas, it has already been superseded and we can expect zero support or updates.  Great.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Appologies if my reply appeared abrupt - It was not mean to be. 

Unfortunately this is what happens each year for technology new models come out.  Dont get me wrong though, there should still be updates happening with the TVs, especially when issues or bugs are found and you will still receive full support.

Its just that 2015 TV have a radical change of OS of which 2014 and older TVs have not been developed for it.  Even though TVs are similar to mini PCs these days, its not like a computer where you can simply install a new OS - its a lot more involved (I dont fully know how much, however)

Cheers

voodoomedoodoo
Explorer

No need to apologise.  I realise it's always the same when you buy something new, a better version is released soon after that makes your bit of kit look dated.  I think I was reading somewhere that an update to android isn't possible as the new line of TV's uses a different chip? Wish I'd know before buying mine though, I'd have hung on for a while. Ah well

You would think it would be possible, via a firmware update, to improve upon the OS and hopefully Sony will not just forget about their older TV's and continue to issue updates.  However I'm pretty new to Sony so I have no idea what their history is like of continual software and firmware updates.

I managed to get one with quite bad backlight bleed but it doesn't bother me as much as some people.  Still awaiting the Ultraflix app to hopefully improve upon the lack of 4K content but we'll see.

profile.country.IE.title
GT-IRL
Explorer

Have to agree with the OP. I had a moment of weakness in store and purchased the KD-55X8505B based on image quality and feature set without checking out the user interface. While the tv is very reliable and the feature set is very good and picture quality beautiful, the user interface is dire and not very user friendly at all.

So could i ask from Sony is there any chance the 2014 range of 4K will get a FW upgrade to Android TV specifically KD-55X8505B.

I'd love an official informed answer here rather than opinions.

Fingers crossed...

GT

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Unfortunately this forum is not about getting official answers from Sony.  For an official response you need to contact Sony directly.  Upon saying that, as many of you guys have asked, I will pass this onto Sony and see what response I get back.

I'll update this thread when I do.

Cheers all.