Join now - be part of our community!

BBC i player not working thru bravia tv

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
deniseparnell
Visitor

BBC i player not working thru bravia tv

I can't get BBC i player to work thru bravia internet video, despite downloading latest firmware from sony website

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
richliv
Visitor

Well, good news - I looked around this forum a bit and found this one

https://www.sony-europe.com/discussions/message/617702#617702

where the Sony guys advised someone to "Refresh Internet Content" to get IPlayer working,. It didn't work ("error 5006, contact Sony") at first, but when I went into Wired Settings and reconfirmed the existing settings (which already were working, please note, as I can get C5 and ITV catchup on the net no problem), and then did "Refresh Internet Content", voila - IPlayer Beta is now working for me.

A bit roundabout there, but thanks for the advice, I got there in the end.

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35
Catmambo
Contributor

can you provide some more detail - model of the TV, how are you connecting, ISP, do other services work like Youtube?

thanks

crowner
Visitor

I have same problem - KDL40EX603U. Also uptodate

(also have Sony Blue Ray player - can get iplayer through that but its not the point, I really want it via the TV!)

Al-111
Visitor

I am having a similar problem as lots of others seem to be having in being unable to get the BBC i-Player to connect to my new KDL40HX803U.  The on-screen message says that the service requires a software update for my tv (and, yes, the "automatic software update" is set to "on").  Everything else is working okay.  I have read some of the other posts on this forum and have followed the "settigs", "refresh internet content" route but that didn't do the trick.

Do I need to download the firmware (will that affect other things) ?  Or do I need to leave the tv on standby for a period of time?

Any help would be welcome.   

Catmambo
Contributor

Hiya and welcome to the boards!

Automated download can be a little temperamental sometimes so easier just to download it via USB and update manually here - http://support.sony-europe.com/tvhc/downloads/downloads.aspx?site=odw_en_GB&f=FW_Bravia4077TDS&ch=12...

Won't affect any other settings as far as I'm aware.

Thanks

richliv
Visitor

Hi Eduzzel

The same applies to my Bravia KDL-32EX503, purchased through Amazon last week, in that IPlayer is not part of the firmware. However, the latest firmware on the Sony site for this set seems to be via this link

http://support.sony-europe.com/tvhc/downloads/downloads.aspx?site=odw_en_GB&f=FW_Bravia4077L&ch=7&m=...

but the firmware on my TV according to the System Information is PKG4.085EUL-0108 which seems from the numbering to be a later version than that the version on the Sony site. Am I mistaken and if not, how is that going to add IPlayer functionality to my TV ?

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Richliv - do try the download first of all as that should enable it. Please do post back your results.

thanks

richliv
Visitor

I tried it and got the message "Newer version not detected" so presumably I was right, above ? Is there a more recent update on the way including IPlayer ?

richliv
Visitor

Well, good news - I looked around this forum a bit and found this one

https://www.sony-europe.com/discussions/message/617702#617702

where the Sony guys advised someone to "Refresh Internet Content" to get IPlayer working,. It didn't work ("error 5006, contact Sony") at first, but when I went into Wired Settings and reconfirmed the existing settings (which already were working, please note, as I can get C5 and ITV catchup on the net no problem), and then did "Refresh Internet Content", voila - IPlayer Beta is now working for me.

A bit roundabout there, but thanks for the advice, I got there in the end.

clutcher
Visitor

Hi I have a  KDL-40EX503U led and the same problem with the iplayer. Just cannot get it to work. It always asks me to make sure the update is set to on, which of course it is. Updated the internet content but still not working for me.

All the other sites work ok, youtube and 5 etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated