Join now - be part of our community!

BBC red button service on KDL-42W807A - HOW?

SOLVED
riksilvers
Explorer

BBC red button service on KDL-42W807A - HOW?

the TV is connected to my sky dish only.

Used Satellite Auto Tuning to find channels.

So I have the TV tuned in ok

How do I get BBC red button service when the red button on the remote does nothing on and BBC channels. The light on the TV glows but does nothing. Tried it on channels 301 and 302 too?

I can't get cefax / teletext service. All I get is 888 at the bottom of the screen in all the colours

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Yes, if you use a normal aerial cable, which is connected to a freeview aerial (normally on the roof/attic etc) you will be able to get Freeview HD.  The red button channel will then work on BBC channels.  However to complicate things even futher, the BBC red button will not work on BBC HD channels, only the SD channels.

If you then connect the TV to the internet (using your home network), you can then access what the BBC call the "Connected Red Button" service.  This gives you iPlayer via the red button (but can access it via the TV's applications too).

Whats the difference?

• Using a sky dish - is not freeview and is not freesat.  You are picking up the channels from the satellites in orbit.
  • Using a aerial - This is freeview.  Freeview is the name given to the Digitial Terrestrial Transmission.  You are picking up the channels via the transmitters on the ground.

You can plug both cables into the TV : A normal aerial cable, and a coax (satelite) cable, of which you can then switch between the two Freeview and satellite channels.  You will not get a proper electronic programming guide though on the satellite though.  Just "now" and "next"

Hope that explains things. 

Cheers

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

If you have plugged the coax cable straight from the Sky dish to the TV, utilising the satellite channels (but not via freesat or Sky), then the following BBC website explains things:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/television/satellite/channels.html

"Because of software limitations, BBC Red Button interactive channels are currently only available with Freesat or a Sky set-top box and viewing card."

Cheers

PS: It doesnt work for me either.

riksilvers
Explorer

so...with the TV having builtin FreeviewHD and I just plug in a normal Digital aerial (one that can handle HD) I will then be able to get BBC red button?

whats the difference between tuning in with a dish or tuning in with a normal digital aerial if both get Freeview channels?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Yes, if you use a normal aerial cable, which is connected to a freeview aerial (normally on the roof/attic etc) you will be able to get Freeview HD.  The red button channel will then work on BBC channels.  However to complicate things even futher, the BBC red button will not work on BBC HD channels, only the SD channels.

If you then connect the TV to the internet (using your home network), you can then access what the BBC call the "Connected Red Button" service.  This gives you iPlayer via the red button (but can access it via the TV's applications too).

Whats the difference?

• Using a sky dish - is not freeview and is not freesat.  You are picking up the channels from the satellites in orbit.
  • Using a aerial - This is freeview.  Freeview is the name given to the Digitial Terrestrial Transmission.  You are picking up the channels via the transmitters on the ground.

You can plug both cables into the TV : A normal aerial cable, and a coax (satelite) cable, of which you can then switch between the two Freeview and satellite channels.  You will not get a proper electronic programming guide though on the satellite though.  Just "now" and "next"

Hope that explains things. 

Cheers

riksilvers
Explorer

thank you for explaining. :slight_smile:
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your welcome.