Join now - be part of our community!

BBC Sport App

profile.country.en_GB.title
ENJAY75
New

BBC Sport App

Not impressed.

This is regarding the question I posted asking when the promised BBC Sport App will be coming to my KDL 46NX723.

If you have information, even if it is negative, please have the decency to communicate this. Please don't just delete the thread. It looks really bad to potential future Sony customers.

If you don't want to advertise the facts on the forum you can get my email address from my profile. I look forward to hearing from you regarding this and my original point.

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi ENJAY75

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

Not sure why your previous post can not be found because forum posts do  not normally get removed unless they are offensive or contain spam..:smileyconfused:

As to the BBC Sports App..

Sony states that BBC Sports * only available on 2012 TV models..

* may not be available on all BIV / SEN products. If your product has the latest firmware and the internet content has been refreshed etc but the specific service in question still does not appear on your product then unfortunately for technical reasons it may not be possible for Sony to provide that service on your specific product. For example and for technical reasons the BBC Sport service and Netflix is not available to all products..

So from reading the above statement I would say your NX723 will not be support the BBC Sport App but I'll see if I can get a response from Sony as to what models are likely to be supported in the future..

ENJAY75
New

Thank you for your reply Thalamus. The post I am referring to contained neither offensive speech or spam. It was in fact created by Catmambo and was directing Bravia owners to the following article based on a Sony Press Release...

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/09/bbc-sport-app-brings-olympics-and-more-to-sony-bravia-tvs-plays/

You will notice it states it will "be coming to UK owners of Bravia TVs (2011 and onwards)". Obviously this is what we expected to happen. Eventually Catmambo let us know that it would not be available in time for Wimbledon or the Olympics, but "soon after". Some considerable time passed after the Games when I asked Catmambo on the same thread to give the BBC "a nudge" after which he thanked me for the reminder and said he would come back with the BBC's reply. A few weeks later there was still no update from Catmambo, so other members and myself once more posted the same request on the same thread, and were still ignored. This leads us to this week when the post was deleted.

Considering how badly this has all been handled I think we can all have a good guess as to why the post was deleted.

I think that this shows considerable disrespect to Sony customers on two accounts. Firstly, if the technology is still in development then consumers should not be given a false impression that they are buying into the future of home entertainment (as it has no guaranteed future beyond the next product launch i.e Netflix issue). Sony should definitely not issue press releases that they cannot deliver on (BBC Sport app). Secondly, Sony and it's representatives should not strike up conversations with customers then ignore or delete their unfinished communications because they may result in a negative outcome.

I will be sending this to Sony through other channels, I shall also be contacting the BBC myself for further clarification and I am inclined to contact other Bravia customers on the non-Sony forums and websites.

In the meantime, I look forward to hearing from yourself or Catmambo with concise information from Sony or the BBC on the future of a Sony Bravia product bought only 10 months ago.

P.s. It would be a good idea if the other Bravia owners who are also waiting to hear about the promised BBC Sport add a brief comment below to show Sony/BBC their interest?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

ENJAY75 wrote:

Thank you for your reply Thalamus. The post I am referring to contained neither offensive speech or spam. It was in fact created by Catmambo and was directing Bravia owners to the following article based on a Sony Press Release...

I'm sorry to say but unfortuately it does indeed seem that the thread has been removed by someone, I have found another thread regarding the BBC Sports App which contains a post from Catmambo but the link contained in the post references what I'm guessing is the now deleted thread..:smileyshocked:

I have checked around & found a Sony press release that states the following, so it does appear that it is ONLY 2012 models that are going to be supported..

The BBC Sport app launched on selected Sony BRAVIA TVs devices today (June 20, 2012) providing exciting new television content over and above that available on free-to-air television.

This game-changing application, originally announced in April, has been designed specifically for the ‘big-screen’ to deliver an ultimate home entertainment experience. The principal purpose is to deliver live sporting events where there are simultaneous activities or multiple camera angles, making it an ideal fixture to get front row seats to watch Formula One™ and major sporting events coming to London this summer, including Wimbledon and the Olympics.

The BBC Sport app sits alongside the popular BBC News and BBC iPlayer applications on the Sony Entertainment Network. BBC Sport is currently available on all sizes of EX553, EX653, HX753 & HX853 models.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Thalamus,

Everything that Enjay75 said is true. I was also one of the posters that asked for an update from catmambo, in regards to having the sports app on 2011 tvs. my post was probably the last post, before the thread was mysteriously deleted a week later.

Catmambo - please find out whats going on.

sully1311
Explorer
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

Not sure what happened to the older thread, the forum can be a bit twitchy sometimes, but that's being resolved in any event.

Unfortunately now looks less likely that we will be able to bring Sport to older BRAVIA's. Seemingly the BBC have now de-scoped devices from the roll out programme due to resource issues/existing usage pattens and with no single hero event on the horizon like the Olympics, the impetus to deliver it is somewhat reduced as well regrettably.

I will let you know if anything changes though.

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi all,

I have managed to track down the contents of the missing thread, a copy of which can be seen HERE

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Quinnicus wrote:

Hi Thalamus,

Everything that Enjay75 said is true. I was also one of the posters that asked for an update from catmambo, in regards to having the sports app on 2011 tvs. my post was probably the last post, before the thread was mysteriously deleted a week later.

I didn't doubt that Enjay75 was saying anything other than the truth..:smileyconfused: