Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia KDL-50W685A and Sky3D

SOLVED
GregMichael01
Explorer

Bravia KDL-50W685A and Sky3D

Can anyone with the same model Bravia TV let me know if they are successfully able to view Sky3D?

I have been back and forth between Sony support and Sky support without any luck.

The TV refuses to change 3D view to side-by-side (required for Sky3D) - on screen message says "Feature not available".

TV has been reset to factory settings, had the latest firmware installed and I've tried a new HDMI lead.

3D view works perfectly when viewing a 3D BluRay - but not the Sky3D channel.

It's a brand new TV...and it's getting slightly frustrating :slight_smile:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GregMichael01
Explorer

Finally managed to get Sky3D working - I changed the Sky HD output to 1080i and volia the 3D button will now function correctly and allow selection of side-by-side viewing.

*phew*

Many thanks for the help - I hope this may be of use to someone else.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I dont have this TV, but am I assuming that you cannot even change it manually (ie pressing the 3D button on the remote control, and setting 3D display to Side-by-Side) ?

Do you have a newish HDMI cable (1.4a)?

Do you have the correct subscription package from Sky (Sky Entertainment Extra+)?

Cheers

GregMichael01
Explorer

No can't set it manually - brand new HDMI cable, although I don't think 1.4 is strictly necessary for Sky3D...and yes I've got the 3D package enabled and can view the channel...it's just in side-by-side mode.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I've seen the sites that say that 1.4/a is not necessary.  However I can only advise the following information, and say that if everything else checks out...............  (if you get my drift)

From HDMI.org

3D03.jpg

From Wikipedia:

3D02.jpg

3D01.jpg

GregMichael01
Explorer

Thanks for the help (much appreciated) - I'll double check what HDMI cable I've got but this same cable works with my 3D BluRay player just fine - 3D display works perfectly.

It seems that the TV will ONLY allow changing the 3D view mode if it is receiving a 3D signal - which it get's from the 3D BluRay player...but not when receiving the Sky3D channel, since Sky3D doesn't send a 3D signal - which is why I need to manually select 3D view side-by-side to view Sky3D...except since the TV isn't receiving a 3D signal tells me "Feature not available".

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats ok.  Ive got no other idea's on why its not working to be honest, and its this part from the wikipedia article thats of particular interest (I think):

"HDMI 1.4a was released on March 4, 2010 and adds two additional mandatory 3D formats for broadcast content, which was deferred with HDMI 1.4 in order to see the direction of the 3D broadcast market"  

Im assuming broadcast = Sky etc.

GregMichael01
Explorer

Yeah - I was hoping that someone else with the same model TV would reply with "Yes Sky3D works for me!" and then at least I know it's possible.

Sky support tell me to contact Sony support

Sony support say that since the 3D display is working with BluRay - the TV is not faulty so contact Sky support.

I'm not suggesting that the TV is faulty - perhaps it's "by design" that it will only allow 3D mode selection if it's receiving a 3D signal...and if it isn't then displays "Feature not available".

But I'm sure other people with this model TV would also be having problems with Sky3D....I think and could be wrong, but I was told by the guy @ Dixons that this is a fairly new model - so perhaps there aren't that many out there...who knows.

GregMichael01
Explorer

Finally managed to get Sky3D working - I changed the Sky HD output to 1080i and volia the 3D button will now function correctly and allow selection of side-by-side viewing.

*phew*

Many thanks for the help - I hope this may be of use to someone else.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Brilliant !!!  I am glad you have it working - and I've learnt something too :slight_smile:

Thanks for posting back.  Should hopefully assist someone else