Join now - be part of our community!

Can't change DNS on KDL-40RD453

SOLVED
KDL40RD453BU
Explorer

Can't change DNS on KDL-40RD453

Doesn't work on my KDL40RD453BU. Why would I have to use static IP to be able to set the DNS manually? It doesn't make sense.

My working theory is that my router won't accept static IPs*, and I can see that, on DHCP, the TV is setting itself to use the router as a DNS server. I don't believe that the router provides that service. Hence, Catch 22. So, how do I test this by using DHCP with a manually-configured DNS server, which is a fairly basic thing to do?

* On a previous router, I had to reserve a range for static IPs. I can't do that with the current one.

13 REPLIES 13
KDL40RD453BU
Explorer

Thanks. Things begin to make some sense, although...

We set out to replace a CRT TV that had lost the R and was only GB :slight_smile: We only really wanted a good picture, and preferably the ability to do a bit of catch-up on the main terrestrial channels; we've had Freeview for some time, but rarely have time to watch that much. So, Smart TV wasn't that essential. However, I'm usually someone people come to for technical advice, and I couldn't really work out what was going on with TV technology.

Freeview HD is new to me, though I can Google it now. So is the concept of a TV needing a LAN connection if it doesn't have Internet. To make it worse, this TV reports consistently that the Internet connection has "failed", which is nonsense if it doesn't have that capability. All leading to a huge waste of time (Sony, are you listening?) trying to get something working that we didn't know we needed, but wanted to try now we had it (only we didn't). We did the research and still couldn't make sense of all the different features.

None of this is your fault, of course. However, I do think that poor information in a rapidly-changing field has left us less satisfied than we ought to be, with a product that is perfectly capable of delivering what we wanted. We've now added a Roku stick (another new concept) and that's given us iPlayer - although I was sure that the model information promoted this TV as being good for catch-up, and I can't see why now.

And somebody should shoot the marketing guys who only allow spec sheets to say YES, making them completely useless for understanding what one TV doesn't have and another does. If there are no NOs, it's not worth publishing it, guys - that makes it marketing guff, not a spec sheet.

So, good product, top marks to you and this forum for sorting us out, pretty low marks to Sony for too much marketing guff and not enough useful information, and for designing an interface that complains that a non-existent feature doesn't work. Real shame when we could have been so pleased, so easily.

Rant over :slight_smile:

KDL40RD453BU
Explorer

Thinking this through, what's the purpose of a LAN connection that doesn't route externally in receiving channels?

Or maybe that's something to Google later.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there @KDL40RD453BU

I fully understand what you are meaning in regards to specifications and not listing things that it doesnt have (all the no's etc).  I do not work for Sony (im someone like you, a customer) so I cannot change anything, but I do have contacts within Sony and will pass this suggestion onto them.

As of the 01/01/2017 (yesterday) - ALL TVs sold in the UK must be specified as "Freeview HD" - none of this "HD Ready" rubbish.  This also means that it is also mandatory for all TVs to have at least a LAN port.  This is part of the D-Book 6.2(?) Specifications.  More information is in the PDF attached.

As mentioned about, the use of the ethernet port is specifically for the MHEG-IC channels - which are live streaming channels in the Freeview EPG from channels 225 to ? (forgot).  So there is a purpose on the LAN port being provided on your TV - and it should work when connecting to a live streaming channel in the Freeview EPG

Did you test the TV by going to one of those channels - be patient, it can take a minute or two for them to 'kick-in'?

Cheers

Edit: Would help if I attach PDF :slight_smile:

KDL40RD453BU
Explorer

Thanks. I did realise that you were not on the Sony staff, but thanks too for passing on the comment, and for the PDF, which I'll read tomorrow.

I did try those channels, and got CCTV (Chinese TV??), but it was too slow to be useful - lots of freeze-frames. However, I still don't see where it's coming from, as the TV is reporting no Internet connection. Maybe it's magic :thinking: Otherwise, we have an Ethernet (local) connection with no means of receiving the channels from the outside world.

Or maybe the Sony settings design is less than helpful to anyone but a complete expert, and doesn't mean what it says?

I'd have no objection if you were to point out to your Sony contacts that we're talking about me spending a day and a half of Christmas holiday, that I'll never get back, trying to get something working when there wasn't a problem, all because neither the product information nor the settings told me clearly what to expect.