Join now - be part of our community!

can't play (mkv) files larger than 4GB on bravia 2011 tv

profile.country.no_NO.title
harddisk33
Visitor

can't play (mkv) files larger than 4GB on bravia 2011 tv

after running mkv files thru mkv2vob v2.4.9 on following settings i GET playback on files smaller than 4GB.

files larger than 4 gb i have to split up by using the fat32 file splitting setting in the mkv2vob to play

proffered audio: eng (irrelevant)

file splitting: none (or i get the cant play message)

video transcoding: never

output file extension: m2ts

output type: AVCHD - usb

proffered sub: none (irrelevant)

transcoding codec: x264 (irrelevant)

following boxes are checked: alw trans DTS, use 448kbps and auto upd

the usbstick i use is 16gb large and is formatted in exFAT with cluster size 128kb.

i know that fat32 file system has a limit on files at 4gb but like i said i use exFAT so that's not the problem.

so i thing that Sony has made a restriction on playing files larger than 4GB, the question is why would they implement exFAT if they are restricting playback on larger files?

tvmodel: 55EX725

if sony bravia team reads this pleas answer :slight_smile:

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.hr_HR.title
DamacizSi
Visitor

Yes, you can play bigger than 4GB if USB devices are formatted by exFAT.
(It can not playback if your USB devices is formatted by FAT12, FAT16 and FAT32)

So Your problem is not supported format mkv via USB.

Regards

Damac

profile.country.es_ES.title
andreuga
Visitor

My tv is upgraded but it does not recognice exfat. Does anybody knows if it will?

my model is kdl-46hx700 just from the last year.

thanks in advance.

profile.country.ru_KZ.title
thedonut
Visitor

I'm experiencing the same issues as harddisk33. All my movies smaller that 4GB play on my exFAT external drive.  Once file size goes over 4GB, playback is not possible.  The videos formats of the files are identical so the problem is not with format of the files.  Looks like there is really a 4GB limit with the Bravias.  Hope I'm wrong though.

andreuga
Visitor

Hello thedonut,

in my case the problem is that it does't recognize de usb when I connect the hdd in exFAT, it works witth FAT32 but with the same limitation on files over 4Gb.

All your models (where you can connect a hdd in esFAT) are from this year? Does any one update a model from 2010 and works in exFAT?

I'm trying with KDL-46HX700.

Thanks.

Message was edited by: andreuga

Message was edited by: andreuga

profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

I'm not sure the 2010 BRAVIA models support mkv via USB to be honest. Does the manual clarify?

thanks

profile.country.ru_KZ.title
thedonut
Visitor

My Bravia is a KDL-55NX720. 

profile.country.en_GB.title
Bravia55HX

thedonut,

thats an American/Canadian model is'nt it ?

rpolit
Visitor

I am having the same problem.  I can confirm it is a limit on the size of the file (4GB).  It does not matter which file type.  I have my usb drive formatted exFat.  Has anybody worked around this issue?

JULIANA
Visitor

And not only to mkv, also if you try to reproduce JPG files in High quality, or even in good quality, the TV is not able to reproduce it.,   Two days trying to understadnd why some files ar been reproduced but others not.

What a full.

I Have a good camera (not professional) and I can oly reproduce images in "middle quality" jpg files.

Is this all a SMART Full HD TV  (Sony KDL-40EX720) can do??

Very, very disappointed quality, funcionality.