Join now - be part of our community!

Confused by Sky and Sony.

SOLVED
alshookup
Explorer

Confused by Sky and Sony.

I have been paying for Sky HD quite a while now simply because it enables you to download 'box sets' from them. However, when I try and attach an HDMI cable between my Sony LCD HD Ready tv (6 year old KDL-40S2010) and the Sky box, I get a message saying something like 'doesn't recognise HDCP' and to disconnect the HDMI cable. I have contacted Sky on a number of occasions and they have sent me a new cable but still no better. They suggested today that I get in touch with Sony and see if the settings on the TV need to be changed as Sky say nothing is wrong with the Sky box so it must be the telly. Sony say it is because the HDMI cable is not a gold plated one and if I bought one it would then work perfectly. Unfortunately I have lost any faith in this so called 'professional' advice as they don't seem too convincing at their end. Would this gold plated cable solve my problem as in other quarters I have read that being gold plated is only to stop the connection corroding and doesn't make any difference from a bog standard HDMI cable?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I would probably not advise you buying the most cheapest gold connector HDMI cable.  Personally I dont think the gold connector is the issue.  I think its supports way of saying purchase a better HDMI cable - in a round-a-bouts way.

Have a look at this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/IBRA%C2%AE-PRO-GOLD-1-4a-HDMI/dp/B002U38E9O/

Its only £8 - and they have served me well.

Cheers

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Being your tv an HD ready and not a FullHD, have you tried to lowering the HDMI resolution output on the sky box?

profile.country.en_GB.title
Batfinkk

HDCP is the security handshaking that takes place between the box and TV via the HDMI cable. So if the HDCP handshaking isn't working it won't playback. So it could well be the HDMI cable which is why Sony helpdesk are saying try a better quality one, but that doesn't mean spending £20+. Maybe try a sensible amazon one which is rated highly.

That said the TV is pretty old and the Sky HD box super new, so maybe the two are incompatible now (i.e. Sky using a newer DRM/security protocol or HDMI standard) as that S series was one of the first LCD TV's that Sony made.

Just a thought...

alshookup
Explorer

Thanks for info and advice..will keep trying.

alshookup
Explorer

Just received this email from Sony........

"Thank you for contacting Sony support. We are sorry to learn that you are experiencing an issue connecting your KDL-40S2010 with Skybox.

In regards to your query, we can confirm that you will need to connect your TV to your Skybox using a 1.5m HDMI Cable Standard with Gold-plated terminals for improved signal transmission.

As for updating your KDL-40S2010 firmware version, please be advised that there is no new updates been released for it lately, which means that your TV is updated to latest firmware."

So I will buy a low price gold plated hdmi cable and hope for the best.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I would probably not advise you buying the most cheapest gold connector HDMI cable.  Personally I dont think the gold connector is the issue.  I think its supports way of saying purchase a better HDMI cable - in a round-a-bouts way.

Have a look at this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/IBRA%C2%AE-PRO-GOLD-1-4a-HDMI/dp/B002U38E9O/

Its only £8 - and they have served me well.

Cheers

alshookup
Explorer

Thanks for advice.