Join now - be part of our community!

TV IP Address differs from BT Router DHCP list

profile.country.GB.title
JADASTIC
Explorer

TV IP Address differs from BT Router DHCP list

Can anyone help please. I have a KDL-40EX724 TV and I'm having difficulty getting a fast enough wireless connection to stream LoveFilm, it keeps buffering. I'm using BT and the new BT HH5 with Infinity 1 (40mps) The TV is in the living room and the router about 6-7 metres away in the study. My router control panel DHCP list shows the IP address of an unknown device as 192.168.1.69 and yet the TV shows the IP as 70. The unknown is definitely the tv as the MAC addresses match. Does anyone know why the IP's dont match i.e. 69 vs 70.

Also, I have tried powerline adapters, but they cause weired things to happen to the broadband signal. Strange thing is my other Bravia TVs work fine on wireless, but they are both younger TV's. Does anyone else have wireless problems with the 40EX724 and do you think a wireless extender would help, and can anyone put some light on why the IP's should be different.

Thanks 

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Im not a big fan of DHCP on fixed devices, so the first thing I would do is give the TV a fixed IP address, as well as wire it up via an ethernet cable as a test.  If the test succeeds when wired up, you then know its a wireless issue.

Why would the IP address be different?  - Could it be that the router or TV is dropping the connection, and then the router assigning a new IP address via DHCP?  Or could it be that you have two devices (ie TV's) with the exact same MAC Address and causing a conflict (Unlikely though)?  Just guesses thats all.  Either way, removing DHCP from fixed devices would assist.

Also try a tool called Advanced IP Scanner : HERE as that may give you more information.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
JADASTIC
Explorer

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I have now tried everything! Took the 40EX into the study and used Wireless and ethernet, but alas both the same, the TV kept buffering. I also have a KDL-32HX753 in the study that I use as my Laptop monitor and it works fine, either wireless or wired (ethernet). It seems that the KDL-40EX does not like the speed of the new router and fibre. When we had copper, Lovefilm did its speed test and then fed the stream data slow enough for the TV to play the movie. With fibre at 40mps (have tested line speed over and over again) it just cant handle the rate at which Lovfilm streams the data. I also have a 24 inch Bravia 'new' KDL-W605 and it works fine again with wireless and it is in the kitchen.

I'm thinking the 40EX just cant handle the speed of fibre. I would be interested in anyone else having the same experience.

Thanks again for the feedback Quinnicus

Cheers all.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It certainly is an interesting problem.  Can you ensure that you have the latest firmware installed and perform a factory reset of the TV?

Just looking at the bitrate that Lovefilm sends - 2Mbps SD and approx minimum 4Mbps connection needed for HD 720p (Sony TV).  Unless this information is inaccurate or outdated, I cant see this being the cause.  The issue I see is - if Lovefilm are now streaming to Sony TV's at 1080p, as Lovefilm says it requires a minimum 12Mbps connection.  I have struggled on my NX723 TV with bitrates higher that 13-15Mbps (not lovefilm streaming though).

Is it the HD vids that you are having trouble with or is it SD quality ones too?

profile.country.GB.title
JADASTIC
Explorer

I didn't think to factory reset the TV, plus I always keep the TV's up to date with firmware downloads, but I will check this out and also reset to factory. 

Ref the HD or SD vids, most if not all Movies and TV shows are tagged with the HD icon, however you make a good point. I will search through the 'Lovefilm Instant' list and see if I can find an SD mover/TV show, then try this and see what happens.

If Lovefilm are streaming at 1080 and expect 13Mbps or so, then since the EX is only 720 then this may be the problem as you say.

I'll give the TV factory reset and firmware check and SD stream a try and re-post later.

Cheers..

profile.country.GB.title
JADASTIC
Explorer

Hi again, I have now updated the TV to the latest firmware (new version came out last night 4.022). I have also reset the TV back to factory settings and then retuned etc. However the issue is still there, the KDL-40EX724 still buffers a Lovefilm HD film. When I try streaming an SD film/TV show the TV streams WITHOUT buffering.

I have switched everything else off on the home network so bandwidth is not the issue and as I mentioned in my previous post I even moved the TV next to the router and used ethernet and it still buffers with HD streaming.

I have emailed the Sony support people to see if they have any answers. If anyone else can think of why this is happening or you have a KDL-40EX724 and stream Lovefilm HD without issue, please let me know.

Merry Christmas to all, regards...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Its a shame that Lovefilm is still not working for you properly.  You have done all the normal test/troubleshooting and Im at a loss on what to suggest now. Hopefully support come through for you.

At least you now know that its HD streaming is the problem.  Hopefully another forum member can confirm if they have the same issues or its working for them on their KDL-40EX724 TV.  If you get this working, please update this thread as it may assist others.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
JADASTIC
Explorer

Well would you believe it, I heard back from Sony Support and they asked me to switch off the router and then restart it, and then re-connect the wireless on the TV. Amazing! did they not think that I had already tried all possible ways to fix this. They then came back and said its a Lovefilm issue, my fault I suppose, because I told them that other Apps on the TV were working. Obviously they didn't bother to read the part of my email that told them that I had other Sony TV's that worked fine with Lovefilm.

So, I just sent a rocket, a very polite rocket but a rocket all the same. Lets see what comes back eh!

If any Sony people are reading this please let me know your thoughts and how I should proceed.

Stupid thing is my wife and I thought we would just cut to the chase and by a new 42in 'W8' this afternoon (not cheap at £900 ish), knowing that my other TV's would work. But do you know, I'm not sure that is an action I want to take at the moment.

Still smiling... kind regards