Join now - be part of our community!

Converting videos to play on 40EX503 from a NAS via ethernet

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Ianperrettive
Visitor

Converting videos to play on 40EX503 from a NAS via ethernet

Hi All,

I have a Bravia 40EX503 and a QNAP TS210 NAS drive.  I have some videos that I wish to convert to the correct format so the TV can play them.

So far I have only managed to get the TV to play an MPG file that I downloaded from the internet as a test and a VOB that I ripped from a DVD.

When I have tried to convert the AVI's I have to MPG (MPEG 2), they don't show up, same for VOB. I have even converted the working MPG file but the TV still doesn't show it?

Any help would be great.

Thanks Ian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.fr_FR.title
sletonqu
New

11 REPLIES 11
Mr-Microlog
Visitor

Hi Ian,

I have had the same issues as you streaming from a 210 to my KDL 37W5500. The issue is that the transcoding option in twonky media is greyed out so the 210 will not transcode the AVI file to MPEG2 before sending it to the Bravia.

I have spent weeks asking how to activate this on QNAP forums and through their technical support section all to no avail. All I get is that twonky doesn't transcode!

I have also had issues when converting from AVI to MPEG 2 and even ripping the original DVD to MPEG2.

The latest converter I tried Any Video Converter proved the same until I found a second MPEG 2 format available

When I selected DVD Video (PAL) Movie (*.mpg) I found the videos appeared on the Bravia. Be warned though that going from AVI to this format increases the file size about 5 fold.

Give it a try and see if it works for you.

The other option you could use is to get a portable drive (USB powered) format it as FAT32 and copy all your MPEG2 movies there.

Hope this helps

cheers

mattster
Visitor

super is a very good converter and will convert from and to just about any format. its free as well.

hope this helps.

kabb0440
Visitor

I have just purchased a 32ex503 and would like to know if the usb powered drive you referred to is one that essentially has its own power supply as opposed to one that is a flash drive. A mute point perhaps but I can imagine [eople going and buying a 16gb flash drive and it not working. You also said you need to format the drive to FAT32 does that means it comes unformatted or does it come FAT 32 and you simply re-format it only if you had unwanted data on it.

Finally can Any Video Converter convert FLV files to Mpeg

Thanks

Ianperrettive
Visitor

Hi Mr-Microlog,

I have seen your posts on the QNAP forums, I was annoyed to hear that Transcoding is not supported because that is one of the reasons I went for the NAS.

I have posted a thread on avforums, take a look, also take a look at this thread posted on the sony forums.

I have managed to get some working but only with using a certain TMPGEnc program. I have tried SUPER, IVC, Format Factory etc so I will give this Any Video Converter a go.

Also, have you managed to get any DVDs rips (using DVD Shrink) working. I thought I had it suss'd by just using the VOB files but for some reason some show and some don't?

It appears we have very much the same issues, so as they say 2 heads are better than 1

Cheers Ian

Ianperrettive
Visitor

I have just tested the Any Video Converter program you recommended and it works. That is great as the TMPGEnc is will only work for 30 days.

I have also just tried it on the mysterious VOB files that weren't showing, they now show! Bit annoying that I will have to put them through 2 processes.

Please Sony, tell us exactly what will work and what won't.

Thanks for your help Mr-Microlog.

sletonqu
New

You may install Serviio server on your NAS, stream in native supported format or transcode in the fly to the Bravia with DLNA protocol.

http://forum.serviio.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=425

KDL-46EX501, BDP-S373, SMP-N100, Serviio.org
Catmambo
Contributor

Can you install Serviio on a NAS, like a QNAP or Synology?

Thanks

Message was edited by: Catmambo

sletonqu
New

Yes probably: http://forum.serviio.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=186&start=0&hilit=QNAP+NAS

KDL-46EX501, BDP-S373, SMP-N100, Serviio.org
psyclone1976
Visitor

Serviio works well although some quality issues mean it's not perfect.