Join now - be part of our community!

Converting videos to play on 40EX503 from a NAS via ethernet

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Ianperrettive
Visitor

Converting videos to play on 40EX503 from a NAS via ethernet

Hi All,

I have a Bravia 40EX503 and a QNAP TS210 NAS drive.  I have some videos that I wish to convert to the correct format so the TV can play them.

So far I have only managed to get the TV to play an MPG file that I downloaded from the internet as a test and a VOB that I ripped from a DVD.

When I have tried to convert the AVI's I have to MPG (MPEG 2), they don't show up, same for VOB. I have even converted the working MPG file but the TV still doesn't show it?

Any help would be great.

Thanks Ian

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.en_GB.title
demolish
Visitor

In summary the following formats can be streamed by the Twonky DLNA server with no transcoding requirements:

MPEG-PS format containing MPEG version 2 video codec and AC3 audio  codec. Video resolution cannot be greater than 720x480 for NTSC or  720x576 for PAL. I may be wrong about the resolution restrictions,  however given that the MPEG2 format is approximately 2 to 3 times the  size of AVC format I wouldn’t choose this codec unless you don’t have  any choice.

MPEG-TS format containing MPEG version 2 video codec and AC3 audio  codec. Video resolution cannot be greater than 720x480 for NTSC or  720x576 for PAL.
If you choose to use the MPEG2 codec then this file format is larger than the MPEG-PS format.

MPEG-TS format containing the H.264/AVC video codec and the AC3 audio  codec. There are different profiles for the AVC codec and depending on  the profile there are restrictions to the bits rates, which is where  things get complicated. For the main profile and SD, Bitrate must be  <= 10M,  width <= 720 and the height <= 576. For HD Bitrate  must be <= 20M,  width <= 1920 and the height <= 1152. For the  high profile and HD case Bitrate must be <= 30M,  width <= 1920  and the height <= 1152.
I haven’t tested all of these cases, however I suggest to keep things simple use 720x480 for SD and 1280x720 for HD.

BDAV format (.MTS or .M2TS) containing AVC video codec and the AC3 audio codec.
I have not experimented with this format because I don’t have any  software that could generate it. (I down-loaded samples from the web)
I would suggest only using this format if you need subtitle information  as this format does not require additional files, unlike the other  formats.

For audio I suggest using the AC3 codec format. However I did experiment  with this and found that MP2 (MPEG audio layer 2) and ACC formats  worked within the MPEG-TS file format. (AAC allows surround sound 5.1)

rupwenn
Explorer

Had the same question

Found solution on sony forum here

http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/dlna-and-divx/m-p/196262#M12360

Basically the DNLA does not recognise native divx or xvid or mkv files - bravia of this era will only play divx etc from USB or other input (e.g. VOD) and not over DNLA.