Join now - be part of our community!

Device Request / Suggestions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Device Request / Suggestions

Hello all

Going by Catmambo's "Challenge" and request of opinions on consumption devices in the home, I would like to start this thread off on what I would like.

Using an analogy from Lord of the Rings – "One ring to rule them all". I would like 1 device to act as a Hub to rule all others. The PS3 as an Entertainment device is ok, but fails in many aspects. The PS4, COULD be engineered to act as this hub. Right, lets get into specifics.

Requirements

• - Must be fully DLNA compliant and must be able to communicate with all Sony Networked equipment (as well as other manufacturers)
  • - DLNA Media Server with on the fly transcoding
  • - Addition of new/better codecs when they become available
  • - Powerful enough to deal with the above, but quiet to sit under the TV itself.
  • - Gigabit Ethernet, as well as Ethernet over HDMI
  • - A way cut the clutter of the amount of cables we all use. Maybe with the new wireless technology.
  • - User orientated GUI / OS, with full customisation with the ability to password protect and backup system settings/configurations.
  • - Ability to Add/Subtract Apps like Lovefilm/Netflix/iPlayers etc, as and when required with the removal of Sony's closed 'eco-system'
  • - Easy replaceable HDD, with the option to add further HDD's as and when required.
  • - Not to become outdated after 12 months or so. Maybe on a generational cycle like the consoles.
  • - Not a fan of gimmicks such as hand/voice control, but a one remote control system to rule them all too. Tired of the fact of multiple remotes. Addition of a touchpad/qwerty keyboard.
  • - A web browser that is fully compliant with the normal web standards.
  • - A device that is Mum/Dad/Wife friendly.
  • - Built in Bluray player and PVR Recorder.
  • - Not a fan of "The Cloud" but the ability to remotely connect to this device over the internet via a web-browser or another identical device at a friends place. And not just play stored media. Would like full remote viewing.
  • - Properly supported with regular updates from Sony.
  • - Must be affordable too !
  • - Removal of the Geo-located services. As in if its available in the US, its available in the UK. I know that's not in the hands of Sony, but Geographically locked services encourage piracy in the long term. Sony being a Manufacturer and producer of content could have some weight in this. This also includes stuff like YouTube and others, as in, Its on a PC, is on a TV. Not different.

Umm.. That's all I can think of at the moment

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.en_GB.title
Bravia55HX

and a very large bank account to buy the damn thing!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe, maybe not. Upon re-reading it this morning, most of its software development.

profile.country.en_GB.title
gofrost

Nice idea but not only is it software but processing,ram,multi layer pcb's,heat distribution and as Bravia55HX923 say's the device would cost a fortune.Not only that but would you have a pvr with removable HDD what about DRM'S.Like i say a very nice idea but it's never going to happen.