Join now - be part of our community!

Digital TV Tuning

Nightwrake
Explorer

Digital TV Tuning

Hey I'm not exactly the most technological person and I'm having trouble receiving freeview.

I have a SONY BRAVIA KDL-42W654A and have connected a cable from the TV to the wall socket. I know the cable works because it has come from a TV that receives channels. As far as I'm aware the socket itself is fine.

On settings I have chosen Digital Auto-Tune and chosen Cable not Antenna. The TV then takes 5-10 mins to search, finding no channels available. Have I missed something out/not connected cables properly or potentially sometyhing else wrong?

7 REPLIES 7
GWYD1ON
New

The socket on the wall, what is that linked to?

Did this originally connect to a cable service box i.e Virgin Media? if so I had the same problem with a different model. unfortunatley could not get it to work and ended up installing an outside Antenna.

If your unsure what the other end of the wall socket is connected to and havent tried already, try using the Digital Auto-Tune choosing Antenna and see if that gives you anything, its most likely connected to an outside antenna

pennbank

Choose Antenna  not cable

Nightwrake
Explorer

Antenna and Cable both say no services have been found.

There are 3 sockets on the wall. One has TV written underneath, one Radio and one blank. I am using the blank one as the TV socket is slightly different and does not allow the cable to go into it.

The socket has not been used before, although there are identical ones around the house. The other TV's have SKY connected to them and are not affected if their cables are pulled out - I don't know if that could make a difference to getting freeview working.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Well the problem is "blank" as in, its not in use

From the picture below, which socket is Labled "TV"

21wGGcW+4EL.jpg

Top = F-Type

Bottom Left = Normal Aerial (Male)

Bottom Right = Normal Aerial (Female)

As well as what aerial cable are you using?  (F-Type, Aerial Male, Aerial Female)

Edit = What Im getting at is, that your cable might be different than what might "fit" for the socket on the wall.  You cant put a square peg in a round hole, but you can either get the "right" cable, or an adaptor to suit.

Cheers

Nightwrake
Explorer

Hey,

Yeh the TV socket is a male whereas the cable I have and the back of my television are both female. The blank socket is also female.

Nightwrake
Explorer

I have a feeling the antenna might have been disabled to avoid disturbing the SKY or something like that.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Considering in your very first post that you admit not being too technical, my advice is to contact a TV Aerial Technician in your area.

Sky Satellite and a Freeview Aerial work totally different.  It may be that your aerial has not been upgraded/comptible since the digital switchover.  Theres really 101 reasons.

Cheers