Join now - be part of our community!

Do the new Bravia TVs have a standby mode?

John-Aldo
Explorer

Do the new Bravia TVs have a standby mode?

Hi all,

My new Sony Bravia TV (Model KDL-42W653A) seems to be in standby mode even when I turn it off at the main on/off button at the rear ... because I can turn it back on by pressing the standy button on the remote ... although there doesn't appear to be the usual red remote indicator light.

Could someone explain how I turn the power off without crawling behind the console to get to the mains plug?

Thanks, John.

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI there

From your description, the first thing that came to mind was that it was faulty.  As I tested my TV (2011 model), all worked as expected (ie all power was off).  Consulting the manual for this TV, gives me this:

Power - Standby.jpg

If this is the button you are pressing, its merely Standby.  I do not believe there is a main power switch for this TV.

Cheers

John-Aldo
Explorer

Thanks for replying Quinnicus.

I'm a littlepuzzled by the last sentence ... you say "it's merely standby" ... so there is a "standby" mode then ... and if there's a "standby" mode, there must be a corresponding "off" mode as well.

Also, your screendump says the TV button has 2 modes - "turn on the TV or enter standby mode".

Can it be true that in this day and age, when we are told more and more NOT to leave items on standby, that Sony have made a television which CANNOT be turned off??

Anonymous
Not applicable

TV's are ment to be left in standby these days - as the TV's do somethings automatically over night.  For example, search and tune in new channels, software downloads.

I've not seen the back of this TV, but an ON/OFF switch is normally a rocker-switch - if it doesnt have that (which im pretty sure it doesnt), then that button does only set the TV in standby.

John-Aldo
Explorer

No, there's no rocker switch, so I'll have to accept that it can't be switched off - doh!

Thanks, John

sandrofoz
Explorer

HI, I noticed the same with my Sony Bravia. It doesnot turn off, even when you press the on/off bottom on the back. Even the hissing noise that the tv has during the standby mode is there after I press the on/off bottom. The only thing the bottom seems to do is turning the red light off.

profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

Not ideal but at least an alternative, there is always the option to turn your Bravia off at the mains wall socket, that is what I do every night with my Bravia.
John-Aldo
Explorer

"... there is always the option to turn your Bravia off at the mains wall socket"

... Wish I could, but it's almost impossible to get to the socket!

John

John-Aldo
Explorer

"The only thing the bottom seems to do is turning the red light off" ...

... there isn't even a red light on mine to tell me what mode it's in!

John

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

A search of Amazon brings up this product: Belkin Energy Saving Smart AV Power Strip

Product Description

The Belkin Conserve Smart AV Energy Saving Power Strip lets you control power to your whole entertainment system with the push of a button--your TV's power button. The green coloured Master Outlet senses when your TV is on or off and controls power to four peripheral outlets for your AV components. When you turn your TV off, power to the peripheral components goes off too--including standby power--so no energy is wasted.

This may assist you - but do your research first.

Cheers