Join now - be part of our community!

Dongle to connect a Sony 3D TV Model Number KDL40HX803U

SOLVED
JSIDNEY1974
Explorer

Dongle to connect a Sony 3D TV Model Number KDL40HX803U

Can anybody out there help me! A few years ago I purchased a Sony 3D TV Model as subject title. I am now looking to purchase a USB Dongle to insert into the telly that will connect my TV to my WI - FI connection!! Does it have to be a Sony Dongle or can it be a more cost effective universal dongle. If anybody is out there that could give me some sensible and decent advice & any recommendations that would be great!!

Kind Regards

JAMES SIDNEY.
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ive never actually seen a homeplug actually work.  However from my understanding, it is easy.

1. At Router - Plug in homeplug to the wall, connect ethernet cable from homeplug to router
  2. A TV - Plug in homeplug to the wall, connect ethernet cable from homeplug to TV
  3. Press the encryption/pairing button on homeplugs.
  4. Setup network on TV - follow onscreen instructions
  5. All done.

Accoring to Amazon on the links I provided, the kits already contain 2 x RJ45 network cables.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

@JSIDNEY1974 wrote:

Just to get my head round it, how does it work?!?!

I assume a cable from the TV goes into the plug & you plug it in at the TV end of things \ & the same for the WI - FI end of things as well. They somehow connect the TV & ROUTER TOGETHER?! Is that correct?!

Yes that's pretty much all there is to it, there is usually some instructions within the box, here is a basic example of the set-up..

homeplug.JPG

JSIDNEY1974
Explorer

Many Thanks - Again great advice and in your opinion the £50 electrical socket solution is the best way forward!! Rather than a mega long cable or the wireless dongle! The two plug Ethernet solution is that classed as a wired solution??!! Do you have to purchase 2 Number Ethernet Cables with ports at either end to connect to the TV & Plug & to the Router and Plug or do the cables come with it?!?!

Overall again - you believe this will be the best solution & provide a permanent great / consistent connection to the internet through my TV?!

Thanks again for your help!!!

Kind Regards

JAMES SIDNEY
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI there

The homeplugs would be classed as a wired solution, of which it 'should' provide a consistent dataflow between router and TV.  The homeplugs utilise the wiring of the power sockets in your home.  That why they need to be on the same power circuit.  According to Amazon the kit contains 2 ethernet network cables.

From the information provided, I think this solution would be best.  However, if it all goes pear shapped, if ordering over the internet, you have that 7days distance selling legislation as a fall back.

Cheers.

JSIDNEY1974
Explorer

Thank you very much. If they don't come with Ethernet cables, I have seen two on Amazon for sale for £0.70 - 70p!! So I can buy them as well.

Again thanks you have been most helpful.

Kind Regards

James Sidney!
JSIDNEY1974
Explorer

I have checked the circuit and when I take a certain fuse out the Router Power & TV Power Goes Off.  Therefore I take that to mean the power supply is on one circuite & can go with the powerline / wired connection.  I have narrowed it down to 2 options.  I am going to go with the netgear one costing £60.00's (see below) would your opinion concur with this.  It is from Amazon.

Kind Regards

James Sidney

Netgear Powerline AV+ 500 Mbps Nano Kit

by NetGear

RRP: £99.99

Price: £60.89

You Save: £39.10 (39%)

Sold by Trusted-Goods and Fulfilled by Amazon.

TP-LINK TL-PA451KIT AV500 Powerline Adapter with AC Pass Through...

by TP-Link

RRP: £59.99

Price: £48.89

You Save: £11.10 (19%)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there

It was only today that I was wondering how you got on.  Taking the fuse out seems to have confirmed the circuit.

I cant actually recommend one product over the other, as I have actually never used them.  However the both will do the job quite nicely.  You can only go by the general gist of the reviews available (quite a few on Amazon for both), and both products seem to have high ratings.

Good luck and have fun with everything

Cheers.

JSIDNEY1974
Explorer

Many Thanks, You are a star!!!!!!

I am going to go with the £60.00 one as there is a bigger saving on the RRP - i.e. £99.00's to £68.00 odd - where as the other one is £50 - £40.00's.  Not only that the deciding factor is the £40 odd pound one socket dangles down, where as the £99.00's socket goes upwards!!! The positioning of our socket where our telephone and router is on our telephone table is quite minimal.  So there is not much clearance between the telephone table and the socket to having a dangling down socket.  Therefore the more expensive one is going to be the one i order.  It is going to be a Christmas Present for my folks, I shall order it now and let you know how it works towards the end of the year beginning of the new year.

Final question do you know if the Sony KDL40HX803U is a fully ready internet telly?!?!?

I will be posting a bit of a rage at Sony in a bit as I am not too happy with there Customer Service at the moment.  Watch this space in the next day or two for a rant!!!

Regards

James Sidney

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your folks should have a lot of enjoyment, especially where YouTube is concerned :slight_smile:   Internet features include BBC iPlayer, 5 on Demand, YouTube, LoveFilm (if you choose to pay for the service) and others.  What the TV doesnt include is a web-browser.

Oh no about the rant.  However I would advise a new thread in regards to that, as its a different topic (i assume)

Cheers.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Hi JSIDNEY1974,

regarding the RDR HDX870, what do you mean by "timer recording list" is empty?

In order to record anything, the RDR must be connected to the aerial, I assume you did it and you can watch TV programme whene connected to the HDMI source on which it is connected.

Now, if you mean the EPG guide is empty, just be sure that you choose in the system menu the Digital one, not the Guideplus that is not supported anymore since digital switchover