Join now - be part of our community!

EPG lacking info

profile.country.en_GB.title
Zantroplets
Visitor

EPG lacking info

Why do many channels in the EPG say "No info available" but if one selects the channel, the info appears so is obviously available? My Bravia KDL40-EX653 has been like this since pruchase in June 2012

Thanks

Mike

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.da_DK.title
Nielsen

Sometimes the EPG update is very slow. Eventually all info will appear, but the current selected ch info is instantly present.

Zantroplets
Visitor

I don't accept that it's just slow, since a lot of channels show information immediately and then others continue to say "No event information" indefinitely. And the current channel information is sometimes not shown until the moment that you press "Info" to get the details. The programme details invariably then appear, as if this information was stored all along, but not updated in the main EPG list. It still looks like a software bug to me.

One suggestion in this forum implies that the cause is confusion between sources from different transmitters, and that tuning the set manually resolves the problem. I haven't tried this yet but have to admit to scepticism.

profile.country.da_DK.title
Nielsen

This is probably not a Sony issue. The EPG is aggregated from each TV broadcaster and delivered to you by your cable/aerial/satellite provider in some sub stream I think.

Each selected ch. however is also sending current info inside the mpeg stream, which bypass the epg backend.

I noticed same latency on other TV brands with same provider.

Btw. Sometimes the tv gets confused about these info's and skips a couple of hors in present time, quite funny.

Message was edited by: Nielsen

P.S. Just guessing :Your observations indicates maybe even a slight improvement compared to my Bravia. Assuming old and rarely wrong info is better than no info, your set is maybe keeping last loaded EPG info in the backg at start up, and your "no info" should be translated as "not updated info,".

Message was edited by: Nielsen

Zantroplets
Visitor

Thanks for your thoughts, but I find it puzzling since my older Sony PVR is capable of creating an EPG from the same source, without any data missing. That's why I assume it's a problem with the Bravia.