Join now - be part of our community!

Faulty USB recording on Sony KDL40R483B

Faulty USB recording on Sony KDL40R483B

I have a Western Digital 2TB HDD USB drive powered externally formatted to NTFS. I plugged this in to my Sony KDL40R483B television and it registered the drive for recording.

Yesterday, I was testing it out on the BBC three HD commonwealth games channel. Everything seemed to go fine. But when I tried watching my recording back, it skipped all over the place. It sped up, slowed down, skipped, jumped and hopped its way to the end. Very disappointing.

Can this TV not cope with HD recordings? I haven't tried it on standard definition channels yet.

Interestingly, I plugged the HDD back into my laptop and I could see the file system. It was still NTFS and I could see all the recordings. I thought it was supposed to partition and format the drive to Linux? Maybe the new 2014 models don't do this.

So, do I have a faulty television? Is my HDD not correct in some way? Or is recording HD channels just a no go?

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

It sounds like the HDD has not been registered to the TV correctly - for whatever reason.  Try going to Settings > Setup > Recording Set-up and follow the instructions from there. 

Cheers

I'm just trying a second hard drive, this time a USB-powered Western Digital My Passport 1TB. I've just recorded about a minute's worth from BBC One HD and it now seems fine. Most bizarre.

I'll carry out a few more tests and see what happens throughout the day.

Thanks so far.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool - hope it goes well.  :four_leaf_clover:

It sounded a weird problem when I first read your post :slight_smile:

So I've had moderate success in my testing. 

On one occasion, a timer was set to record from the EPG but this failed to work as instead of recording channel 103 it recorded channel 200.

When I was doing a manual recording, it just decided to stop after 53 minutes by itself. 

And finally, it seems to be a regular error on the title listings page where some of the programmes exhibit a 00h00m length even though when you play them, they are the correct duration. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I am at a loss on what else to suggest to be honest.  The 00h00m definately sounds like a bug to me.  I think it might be best to contact Sony Support on these issues to be honest - at least report the issues anyhow.

https://shop.sony.eu/shop/mimes/openAccess/legal/contact-us/contact_en_GB.html

Cheers

Will do, thanks.