Join now - be part of our community!

FMP X5 sound problems and Netflix missing all 4k content

davapps7
Explorer

FMP X5 sound problems and Netflix missing all 4k content

Just bought an FMP-X5 4k media player to connect up to my KD-65X90005A.

I was so thrilled to finally see some 4k on my TV after nearly a year of owning it. I went straight to Netflix and put House of cards on to see wht the 4k picture was like and it was great but the sound kept cutting out randomly.

i checked all the setting and connections. Still the same. Googled the problem and couldn't find any thing about it. I have every thing set up as it should be. I have a £100 HDMI lead connecting the media player to the £5000 tv, I didn't expect any problems. I have tried changing settings, swapped the HDMI cable, resetting both tv and media player to factory default. Checked the software update and they are on the latest firmware.

i have tried a few 4k samples on USB stick and same problem with the sound, which proves it's not just the Netflix App. But now when I go into Netflix and go to the Ultra HD 4k programmes they now only say HD, no 4k option, just plain old 1080. Utterly disappointed. I tried Sony's CIC and Netflix and still haven't resolved anything.

The Internet connection is hard wired to router. The speed test shows that the broadband is running at 68mbts tonight which is 3-4 times higher than Netflix recommends.

Has anyone had the same problems, or have any ideas. Just feeling so down about all this overpriced Tech and just not getting what I paid for.

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

As you have tried both Sony and Netflix support, theres probably little that this forum can do to help.  I have not heard or seen the problem you have described.  The only thing I can advise, is also post this same question over at the AV Forums, they have a rather big "owners thread".

https://www.avforums.com/threads/sony-kd-x9005a-4k-owners-thread.1797854/

Cheers

davapps7
Explorer

Thank you for your reply. I have not yet tried AVForums. Last week I took my FMP-X5 back to the Sony Centre where I bought it (and my TV) they were very helpful. They connected my FMP-X5 to one of their newer 4k tvs using my HDMI cable. They tested it and there was no issue with the sound. This proved that my HDMI cable and FMP-X5 are working fine.

This is the conclusion. Even though my TV has installed the latest software, it would seem that the HDMI port isn't accepting HDMI 2.2 signals or is having problems with the handshake. sony are getting a company out to my house to replace the HDMI card in the back of my TV followed by another software update. I will let you know how it goes, once it's has been done.

The Neflix issue is strange. When testing the FMP-X5 at the Sony Centre on my account I couldn't see the option to watch anything in 4K, when they logged in with their account we could watch 4k programs on my FMP-X5. This was confusing, because the previous week I could watch house of cards in 4k ultra HD, but it just stopped. I called Netflix for a second time and explained what was happening. This time they said I wasn't subscribed to the 4k service. This wouldn't explain why the service worked at first. I was not aware that the UK had different price plans on Netflix.
I also learned that there is much more 4k content on Netflix. If you search for 4k using the App on your 4k TV or FMP-X5 you will only see 6 items, but if you log into netflix on a computer and search 4k, you will see about 30 items including Transformers and Tron. Just save them in "My List" and it will make it easier to find on your TV app. I don't know how true this is, but I can't wait to try it when I get my TV working. I have owned my tv almost a year now and still haven't been able to enjoy a 4k movie in my home.
J-star

Hi

When you try to buy the FMP-X5 online from Sony's website, although it names your TV model as supported, it also then takes you to the following page where it asks for your TV serial no. in order to check if a hardware upgrade by a technician may be necessary in order for it to work:

https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/4k-hardware-upgrade

I wonder if this is the upgrade you need.

Have you got it fixed yet? I am curious because I have the 55" version of your TV but am on the fence about getting the FMP X5.  Would be curious to know how you like it and how much content is available, whether you feel it's been worth the money etc., once you've had the upgrade done.  For example, are you now able to watch all that extra 4k Netflix content you mentioned on your TV without issue?

Thanks

Jeff

Anonymous
Not applicable

davapps7
Explorer

Sony we're going to send an engineer to our house this week to replace the HDMI board in the back of my TV, but earlier this week I noticed the TV had a message saying that it had done a software update. I thought I had better try the FMP-X5 to see if the audio issue had been resolved and it had. I called Gogglebox (the engineers who were going to come to my house for Sony) and let them know that sony had released a "on air" software update which had sorted out my audio problem. So everything is now working as it should.

Regarding the FMP-X5, it is up to you but there is a very poor selection of 4k content. All you can get on it (if you live in the UK) is Breaking bad which is great but I have seen the whole series, House of Cards which I am really not interested in and 4x 25minute demos of forests, desserts etc which are ok but I have seen better 4k on YouTube. I'm sure Netflix will have some feature films soon but who knows when. It is a shame they don't notify us when they release new 4k titles. I have spoken to Netflix about the lack of content, the stores are selling lots of 4k tvs now and they have the technology in place to deliver 4k. They need to make the most of this before Amazon beat them to it and take their customers. We need more 4k owners to put the pressure on Netflix otherwise the FMP-X5 is a useless bit of hardware.