Join now - be part of our community!

Horizontal Lines when Scrolling on Sony LCD/LED TVs

casharm
New

Horizontal Lines when Scrolling on Sony LCD/LED TVs

Hi all,

I purchased a Sony KDL-37W5500 back in 2010, and noticed there were dull horizontal lines across the screen whenever a scene was panning/scrolling up or down.  Particularly noticeable on large bright areas.  The TV was OK when panning left/right.

Sony replaced the LCD panel and so on but the issue persisted so in the end I returned the TV and replaced it with a Panasonic.

A few weeks back I needed a couple of new TVs having moved house, and having read some great reviews for the KDL-50W829B I went for that.  It turns out this TV has pretty much the same horizontal lines when panning up/down as I had seen four years ago on the older model and no amount of settings changes seem to affect it.  Overall I was happy with the TV so I then bought a KDL-55W829B as well.  This has the same horizontal lines.

So really my question is, having seen this on three separate Sony televisions, years apart, can I assume it's a common occurrence in their panels?  I can pretty much live with it, I just wondered if anyone else had noticed it?

The Panasonic and Toshiba LCD TVs I've previously owned had no such effect.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.en_GB.title
hcr_hassen

I'm not sure I'm familiar with this, on a 2013 W654A, or in general.Did you try different scene/graphic modes?

There are all kinds of motion artifacts on LCDs in general. Maybe this is some sort of a pixel response time artifact?

casharm
New

I've tried loads of different settings and in particular, MotionFlow.  They don't seem to make any difference.  The image on the TVs is fine apart from when scrolling up and down, then the lines appear.  And then they are at there most noticeable on a unformally-coloured background.  It's really weird.

I'm now playing around with what's connected to the TVs, just in case it's interference from something, but then none of my devices cause an issue with other televisions.

profile.country.GB.title
alex30

Hi casharm,

I have the KDL 55W829 and have just spent a pretty intensive few weeks obtaining a good sharp and clean picture. Although I have been scrutinising the screen the only time I have seen anything like you describe was when playing 1080 files with Media Player Classic and using madVR as the video proceesor. On the setting I was using it was a known problem but NOT just for Sonys. I have since decided to use VLC and have had no issues at all.

Hope this helps.

Regards Alex.