Join now - be part of our community!

Fourteen month old KDL-40HX803 dies?

profile.country.en_GB.title
hermeneut
New

Fourteen month old KDL-40HX803 dies?

While watching TV last night, the HX803 made some digital noise (cutting and scratching), flashed through three or four different colours, and then died.  The TV powers on (power light going from red to green) but nothing else happens.  I've read that were this a hardware fault the power light would blink, but this isn't happening.  I'm not getting any sound or vision from the TV.  Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
gugabackhand
Visitor

At this point, we can't verify that yet. I would call the tech support team so they could check this for you. They should be able to give you your options on this. https://imagicon.info/cat/12-13/vmware_happy.gif

hermeneut
New

I phoned the support line this morning; I was panned off to Currys, where I purchased the television.  I'm taking it to a registered Sony repair centre tomorrow.  The guy says he'll look at it for free, but doesn't think it's a backlight or power issue, as the diagnostic software would cause the power indicator to blink.  If any Sony staff were to read this, I'd be grateful to hear some views.

hermeneut
New

So the repair guy has looked at the tv.  He says the master computer on the television has corrupted itself and he suspects the OTA update may have caused it.  He's replacing the processing unit -- at something of a cost! -- because he says he can't flash the processor from USB. I'd have thought ethernet could also have been used, but it seems not.  I will be requesting compensation from Currys/ Sony under the Sale of Goods Act.