Join now - be part of our community!

Soft buzzing noise after switching off TV into standby mode

SOLVED
profile.country.hu_HU.title
rank17
Explorer

Soft buzzing noise after switching off TV into standby mode

Hello every one,

I have recently purchased a KDL-32EX720 model, and after switching off the TV set into standby mode, a soft buzzing noise can be heard from the rear side of the LCD panel ( if we are standing in front of the TV, it is from the top of the right side). It always takes about 9-10 minutes, then it stops. When switching on the TV again, or pulling the power cord out from the socket it stops as well.

My question is the following: is it a normal operational occurrence or is it a sign of a faulty component.

Any helpful ideas would be appreciated.

Thaks a lot,

rank17

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
Bravia55HX

Hi,

there are some reports on some models with the energy switch on the rear right hand side of the tv causing a buzzing sound so not sure if its fitted to yours, its possible that the rear panel is in contact with something internally like the power inverter or such like.

place your hand on the rear near the soarce and see if it stops or even see if you can feel it.

in any event this is not right, i would suggest since you have just bought this to return it or speak to your Sony dealer and let him sort it out.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Bravia55HX

Hi,

there are some reports on some models with the energy switch on the rear right hand side of the tv causing a buzzing sound so not sure if its fitted to yours, its possible that the rear panel is in contact with something internally like the power inverter or such like.

place your hand on the rear near the soarce and see if it stops or even see if you can feel it.

in any event this is not right, i would suggest since you have just bought this to return it or speak to your Sony dealer and let him sort it out.

KDL-CX520
Visitor

Hello Rank17,

Buzz sound most likely come from relays (depends on which tone you listen) , whatever the problem cause this is an early stage of hardware problem, i would suggest you to Contact Sony service before it become a permanent failure

Bravia55HX

Rank17

First port of call IS with your dealer, any dealer worth his salt will sort it in no time!

profile.country.nl_NL.title
semeloe
New

hey,

have you solved this already? I have the exact same problem, so I would like to know what happened to yours.

Regards,

Sebastiaan

trljcl
Visitor

I've got a KDL-32EX523 with the same problem.  Bought from Amazon, a week old, it makes an audible buzz of varying pitch for about 5 minutes after switching off with the remote or power switch on the side.  The buzz is only killed by switching off at the wall.  I guess I could exchange for the same model through Amazon - but what's the risk of getting a replacement that does the same thing?  Is this faint, but to me - annoying - buzz deemed acceptable/normal by Sony andam I being too picky?

profile.country.ru_KZ.title
jenniyah
Visitor

I've had a similar issue.

I am on my 2nd unit and same problem. My friend also brought one and he's had that problem too.

I guess all we can do is keep exchanging till we get a good one....

Bravia55HX

Hi all,

there are some fresh reports that this is down to low energy lighting dimmers fitted to some properties that interfere with the energy saving switch, Sony have become aware of this and apparently re manufactured the board that controls the switch, check this with your repair centre first for clarification.

profile.country.ru_KZ.title
jenniyah
Visitor

Hi,

Do you know if we don't get this fixed, if it will be some kind of safety hazzard?

Bravia55HX

aside from the buzzing there are no known safety hazzards with this. it is to do with the frequency at which some lighting dimmers operate,