Join now - be part of our community!

Freeview HD 1080i/p Switching Problem 40HX723

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Gruntfuttocks
Visitor

Freeview HD 1080i/p Switching Problem 40HX723

I have owned this TV for 4 months now and was initially very happy with  it. However,  I discovered that Freeview HD channels are unwatchable due to  the screen blanking for about half a second every now and then during programmes. This can vary from a few times per program to once every few seconds depending upon the programme.

From reading this forum, I discovered the 1080i/p firmware bug and used a workround that initially seemed to 'fix' the problem, by setting the video input setting optimisation to 'graphics' rather than the default 'video'. However, this workround does not seem to work as well anymore and rather than a half second interuption, the programmes all look like someone is walking in front of the camera every now and then; very off-putting! The i to p switch is still very visible and confimed by watching the 'info' banner at the same time.

After having taken so long to select the 'perfect' set in the first place, I am left rather disappointed with the TV. Despite the stunning picture quality, the TV is currently  unfit for purpose and will be returned for a refund shortly if this is  not fixed. When are Sony  going to release a firmware fix for this, as they have  done for other  models? It affects several models in the range I  believe. The TV is on the latest firmware, PKG3.807, which arrrived in  December.

Are there any other workrounds that will fix this problem in the meantime?

Many Thanks

Tony

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Catmambo
Contributor

Yes its been fixed, just download the latest firmware to the device.

Thanks

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Bravia55HX

Hi,

this is not a fault of Sony this is down to Freeview, I have the same problem when it switches between 1080i and 1080p .mainly on BBC1, however since moving over to Virgin Media's TiVo its picture perfect

profile.country.GB.title
Testcard

This is a Sony issue where the set sees interlaced and progressive signals as separate inputs. The "insert link" option seems to be broken, so in the search box at the top of the page, type "dynamic switching", and then read the first thread - "Picture twitches across cuts..." This explains how to set your panel settings so that interlaced and progressive signals are seen as the same input rather than separate inputs.

Phobos_77
Visitor

I had exactly this issue with my KDL-40HX723 on firmware PKG3.807 in that all the HD channels exhibited very noticeable switching between 1080i and 1080p signals in the same broadcast. Sony Support suggested that as part of the troubleshooting process I try resetting the unit to it's factory defaults (there's an option to do this in the System menu I beleive). Having done a factory reset on my unit it now doesn't exhibit this issue any more.

So my suggestion would be to make sure you are on the latest firmware for the unit and then try restoring it to it's default factory settings. Obvioulsy if you've tweaked any settings i.e. brightess/contrast/colour balance etc. I'd make a note of these frst as you'll lose them during the reset.

Hope this might help you out.

Ewan

Message was edited by: Phobos_77

Message was edited by: Phobos_77

Phobos_77
Visitor

I had exactly this issue with my KDL-40HX723 on firmware PKG3.807 in that all the HD channels exhibited very noticeable switching between 1080i and 1080p signals in the same broadcast. Sony Support suggested that as part of the troubleshooting process I try resetting the unit to it's factory defaults (there's an option to do this in the System menu I beleive). Having done a factory reset on my unit it now doesn't exhibit this issue any more.

So my suggestion would be to make sure you are on the latest firmware for the unit and then try restoring it to it's default factory settings. Obvioulsy if you've tweaked any settings i.e. brightess/contrast/colour balance etc. I'd make a note of these frst as you'll lose them during the reset.

Just realised why the factory reset had solved the issue. It had reset the option for optimising the freeview digital signal from Video back to Text/Graphics . If I have it set to Video I still get the weird switching issue, on Text/graphics no switching issue. Also tried the fix suggested by Testcard, but that didn't seem to work.

Oh well time to contact Sony Support about it again

Apologies for getting anyones hopes up that I'd got a fix.

Ewan

Gruntfuttocks
Visitor

Thanks to everyone that has responded to this common problem. The latest update seems to offer hope but I haven't tried it yet.

With all due respect to Bravia55HX923, it is a Sony problem. i and p dynamic switching is part of the freeview spec. Not being able to handle the freeview spec is broken by design. All I can say is it is about time! I hope they have fixed the problem, not just improved performance, whatever that means. I will report back after the update.

About this download

About this upgrade (18/01/2012)

This file updates your TV set firmware to version PKG3.904EUA, and provides the following benefits:

Improvements in this version:

• Improves TV performance during 1080i / 1080p transitions
Gruntfuttocks
Visitor

A quick test of this with the 'optimise for video/text' set to Video shows that the problem is as bad as ever. Watching the Simpsons on Freeview CH4HD today (just as a test!) and every scene change causes the blanking! Completely unwatchable.

I would like to know if it has worked for anyone else. I am on PKG3.904 which appeared on the 18th.:smileysad:

I will switch back to 'optimise for video/text' set to Text and report back as the problem was still visible in that mode previously. Maybe they have improved that...

Livermpj
Visitor

I second that.  I've downloaded the latest firmware, and still have loads of blanks within HD programmes.

Basically, HD is unwatchable and we only watch SD...

I really hope Sony can find a proper fix (not a workaround) for this problem.

profile.country.GB.title
Testcard

Abslolutely right. it's essential that the Panel settings are the same during both interlaced and progressive broadcasts. On a side note, I lost all my Internet Content the other day, for no apparent reason, although the network was working perfectly. Almost an evening's work to note down all settings, full factory restore, reset all settings. Sony, you need to get a grip otherwise my next set will be a Samsung.

profile.country.GB.title
copicke45

Are you sure what you are seeing is blanking, or in fact the picture zooming in and out on the transitions, or different picture settings on 1080p and 1080i (you do mention changing settings).

The original blanking problem was fixed for me ages ago by an earlier update.

What still exists however, and still catches people out, is the fact that you can have two different lots of picture settings, one for 1080p and and other for 1080i transmissions. You can only change the picture settings when that picture format is actually being broadcast.

If you have changed the screen format on 1080i, say, to 'Full Pixel', but failed to repeat the setting when 1080p was being broadcast, the TV can jump between overscanned and full pixel display, which appears to make the picture jump in and out. If you have changed other picture settings these will change at the transitions, and may be why you are seeing a 'blank' when the TV changes.

Whilst useful to a minority who like to fine tune settings between sources, for the majority of normal TV viewers this arrangement is beyond them!

Message was edited by: copicke45

Message was edited by: copicke45