Join now - be part of our community!

Freeview HD 1080i/p Switching Problem 40HX723

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Gruntfuttocks
Visitor

Freeview HD 1080i/p Switching Problem 40HX723

I have owned this TV for 4 months now and was initially very happy with  it. However,  I discovered that Freeview HD channels are unwatchable due to  the screen blanking for about half a second every now and then during programmes. This can vary from a few times per program to once every few seconds depending upon the programme.

From reading this forum, I discovered the 1080i/p firmware bug and used a workround that initially seemed to 'fix' the problem, by setting the video input setting optimisation to 'graphics' rather than the default 'video'. However, this workround does not seem to work as well anymore and rather than a half second interuption, the programmes all look like someone is walking in front of the camera every now and then; very off-putting! The i to p switch is still very visible and confimed by watching the 'info' banner at the same time.

After having taken so long to select the 'perfect' set in the first place, I am left rather disappointed with the TV. Despite the stunning picture quality, the TV is currently  unfit for purpose and will be returned for a refund shortly if this is  not fixed. When are Sony  going to release a firmware fix for this, as they have  done for other  models? It affects several models in the range I  believe. The TV is on the latest firmware, PKG3.807, which arrrived in  December.

Are there any other workrounds that will fix this problem in the meantime?

Many Thanks

Tony

17 REPLIES 17
Phobos_77
Visitor

I've been working with Sony Customer Support on this issue since I noticed it. They contacted me yesterday about the new firmware, which I had already installed OTA, and asked me to repeat some troubleshooting steps for them. Having done so I reported back that the issue still persisted and told them the steps I took to recreate it.

They have contacted me by phone today to say that they have been able to replicate this issue on the same model as my unit (KDL-40HX723) and on another HX unit in their office. So they now acknowledge that there is an issue and have written it up and sent it through to the folks responsible for investigating and resolving these issues at head office. Unfortunately they couldn't be specific on when this fix would arrive, but at least they are taking it serioulsy and working on it.

The person I spoke to admitted that this isuse probably hasn't been more widely noticed because the Text/Graphics -> Video option is buried in the settings menus in a location where most average users of the TV wouldn't go digging. And as it defaults to Text/Graphics out the box most people won't even encounter the issue.

Hope this news is of help to the folks that are suffering with the issue like me. Just have to keep an eye on the firmware updates now and if we don't see anything in a month or so I'll give Support a gentle prod :smileymischief:

Gruntfuttocks
Visitor

Hi there,

It is great that Sony recognise the issue and should eventually do something about it. It appears they have fixed the issue for some models, but certainly not the 40HX723.

Default Text/Video optimisation for me out of the box, was set to Video - this is how I first noticed the issue. I only set it to Text after reading this forum as the recommended workround. Of course, Sony could have changed the default during one of the updates; which is a bit sneaky! Setting it to Text only minimises the problem though.

I will check the panel settings at the weekend but I do wonder why they could be different. Are they not set the same out of the box? I haven't changed any of those settings; I'm not even sure where they are.:smileyconfused: Bit of a faff having to do it while an appropriate mode (i or p) programme is transmitting though.

Message was edited by: Gruntfuttocks

Message was edited by: Gruntfuttocks

Livermpj
Visitor

This sounds promising, let's hope Sony are working on a fix.

Earlier in this thread it was mentiioned that all panel settings should be identical when receiving 1080i and 1080p. I can confirm my settings ARE identical, but I still get blank screens during HD programmes (40HX723).

Pete.

profile.country.GB.title
Cablesman
Explorer

Hi can anyone advise if this problem has been fixed yet?

profile.country.GB.title
Cablesman
Explorer

Hi Cat

Did that. Seems to be fine now

Fingers crossed

Thx

WA2020
Visitor

I just bought an hx853 and it is continuing to twitch on all Freview HD channels despite the July software update - Sony please fix this issue properly before the Olympics as Freeview HD is unwatchable right now.

If anyone has any other ideas post-software update to fix this please post them

Catmambo
Contributor

Might be a separate localised problem unrelated to the previous issue as I have the same TV and its fine. I haven't seen any other mention of this issue on the forum which one would expect if it was more widespread.

Whats the signal strength like?

Catmambo
Contributor

Yes its been fixed, just download the latest firmware to the device.

Thanks