Join now - be part of our community!

Getting sound through TV speakers from HDMI input?

cougarric
Explorer

Getting sound through TV speakers from HDMI input?

I'm trying to get sound to come from the TV speakers (KDL-40S2030).

My setup involves a Sony HT-SF100 Amp, which has its three hdmi inputs taken up by a) xbox 360, b) xbox one (with sky going via this), c) Blu-ray.

These then connect via HDMI output to the TV HDMI socket.

Should I be able to receive sound from the TV speakers as well as from the amps speakers? When I try there is no sound at all. I've had a look at the settings but haven't seen anything that changed it.

Thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Im not exactly sure what your trying to achieve here:

Is it sound from the TV and the HT-SF100 at the same time? 

If so, you probably cannot do it .  Although I guess you connect a cable from the headphone socket to the RCA input on the HT-SF100 and set the TV's headphone socket to output sound from TV and headphones.  You would need a 3.5mm to RCA cable (no guarrantees though)

If you want to output sound from the TV to the HT-SF100?

You would need to connect an composite RCA cable (Red/White) from the TV's output RCA ports to the RCA input ports on the HT-SF100.  You will only get 2channel sound though.

Cheers

cougarric
Explorer

Hi. I've just got a gaming chair and need to be able to output sound, either from my TV, my amp, or console.

Struggling to get it from either, but the TV sound output looked the most likely as the sockets were available. However, it didn't produce any sound and after investigation I found that the TV doesn't produce any sound from its speakers in the first place. Therefore, if I can resolve this issue I might have cleared up the whole problem.

Do you know which settings to change to enable the input from the amp to be played through the TV speakers?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

According to the manual of the HT-SF100, you can output audio to the TV as well (via HDMI) as long as the other components are connected via HDMI.  In your first post, you said that they are connected via HDMI.  Are you sure that you are not getting any sound from the TV as well (try turning the sound to minimum on the HT-FS100, and turning the sound up on the TV)

Also, try setting the sound field to A.F.D 2ch Stereo

Thats all I have to be honest.  If it doesnt work, i guess your going to have to experiment with settings etc - as well as the settings on the TV.

Cheers

profile.country.en_GB.title
Bravia55HX

still unclear what your trying to acheive here but here's my thoughts on this,

depending on model of tv you can change the audio from tv speakers to audio system and vice versa but you cant have both, having said this with my set up using separate Amp connected to blu ray with HDMI and Digital Coaxial cable i could have sound from Audio system and tv speakers however there is a delay between the two resulting in an echo so i dont do this.

back to your situation im still unsure of this but i stand by my thoughts on Audio settings (tv speakers/audio system), so you need to re check both manuals again and follow instructions.

cougarric
Explorer

What I am trying to achieve is to attach a gaming chair to my existing set up.

I have managed to do it now by changing my hdmi's around a bit to allow me to connect the console directly to the tv, thus bypassing the amp. It works and it's great. It's just a major pain to swap all the cables each time.