Join now - be part of our community!

HDD recording titles - disk format info

profile.country.en_GB.title
geturne14
Explorer

HDD recording titles - disk format info

Having got so fed up with the wrong titles on the HDD recordings, with no expectation of a fix from Sony, I've tried to see what I can do to rename the recorded titles.

I've been using a WD Essentials 300Mb drive for recording.  The Bravia TV has formattted it into a number of partitions and volumes, not recognised by Windows, but readable in Linux.

As you'd expect, the largest partition has the actual recordings in a "stream" folder. But in 2 other partitions, there's a "db" folder with a file "0001.db" - which is a SQLite database.  These 2 copies appear to be identical.

The database is a pretty straightforward list of the recordings with - hurrah! - a "title" column.

So all you have to do to correct the recording titles is:

1. Get hold of a Linux system with SQLite database browser.

2. Edit the titles in each copy of the database.

What could be simpler? (well, a Rename option in Title List?)

PS. No sign of the Recording Results list...

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.en_GB.title
hcr_hassen

Regardless of what exactly does the encryption there will be a key that's written in flash somewhere. It could be the device's serial number, or more likely some hidden internal key. But when to use it will definitely be firmware controlled, and I'm guessing that part is probably not well protected because TV firmware hacking isn't common.

profile.country.GB.title
chrisbrowe

Thanks for raising this again, I have done previously. 

Can I ask the Mods here to use their contacts with Sony to enquire not if this option will be offered but when? It's really poor that this hasn't been offered so far, It's moreso that this continues surely someone in the product development team has noticed this. Why hasn't the fact that it occurs been resolved in the first place. 

I'd do the same myself but the contact EM webpage refuses to cooperate. 

Maybe asking North Korea to sort the issue might get this sorted quicker. 

mroohani43
Explorer

mroohani43
Explorer

@geturne14 wrote:

Having got so fed up with the wrong titles on the HDD recordings, with no expectation of a fix from Sony, I've tried to see what I can do to rename the recorded titles.

I've been using a WD Essentials 300Mb drive for recording.  The Bravia TV has formattted it into a number of partitions and volumes, not recognised by Windows, but readable in Linux.

As you'd expect, the largest partition has the actual recordings in a "stream" folder. But in 2 other partitions, there's a "db" folder with a file "0001.db" - which is a SQLite database.  These 2 copies appear to be identical.

The database is a pretty straightforward list of the recordings with - hurrah! - a "title" column.

@geturne14 wrote:

@geturne14 wrote:

@geturne14 wrote:

manuoleo
Explorer

Just one little "Up" on this subject. 2017 is here and this bug (wrong title names) is not fixed, nor is the renaming feature available... I make a lot of recordings, and use a rather big HDD, so I have to deal with a long list of wrong titles when I look for something I want to watch.I bought my TV in 2015, when the HDD recording was made available I thought renaming option would come with a next (and quick) firmware update, but still nothing...

Even if the titles naming bug is not fixed (I can understand it is not so easy to pick up the correct title when the recording overlaps the programs before and after the target program), for sure it would not be complex to add at least the possibility to rename the recordings manually. As it was showed by someone here it is just a matter of modifying an information in an SQLLite database. Why is this feature not released (nor planned, it seems) ? It can be found on any low cost external HDD recorder...

Is there something we can do to get this feature ?