Join now - be part of our community!

HDMI connectivity on KDL-32CX523

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
donbradbury
Explorer

HDMI connectivity on KDL-32CX523

I tried connecting an Iomega ScreenPlay Pro HD media device to the KDL-32CX523 via it's HDMI port connected to HDMI 1 (also tried HDMI 2) on the KDL-32CX523 but the response was absolutely zilch. No sign of life at all when trying to access video files that play well via a USB drive on either the TV itself or via the PC over my PowerLine Internet connection. It's possibly because the disk is formatted NTFS, but this drive is used on the PC for system backups as well so I'm unwilling to plug it into a USB port on the TV and let KDL-32CX523 reformat it.

Is anyone able to confirm that absence of FAT32 formatting is the likely reason for no activity via HDMI? Or should the TV at least recognise the drive and offer to reformat it to FAT32 via a USB port, as it did with my other HD which is now dedicated to recording on the KDL-32CX523? Have to say that video replay works well via USB drive plugged into the network-connected PC, and I might have to settle for that, but it does mean the PC has to be switched on during TV-only use (which is what I'm trying to avoid).

TIA

Don

Message was edited by: donbradbury

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bravia55HX

Hi,

yes thats right, format it in FAT32, the tv will "register" the drive to the tv for recording perposes but be aware its a pig to revert it back according to some peeps on here, as they found they cannot format it back to use elsewhere.

if you only use it for watching movies transferred to the drive to play on your tv then formatting to FAT32 is fine and you can move it freely from pc to tv, just dont let the tv "register" it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
traveltiger
Visitor

Hi,

Sorry should have read the question properly

TT

Message was edited by: traveltiger

Message was edited by: traveltiger

Bravia55HX

Hi,

yes thats right, format it in FAT32, the tv will "register" the drive to the tv for recording perposes but be aware its a pig to revert it back according to some peeps on here, as they found they cannot format it back to use elsewhere.

if you only use it for watching movies transferred to the drive to play on your tv then formatting to FAT32 is fine and you can move it freely from pc to tv, just dont let the tv "register" it.

donbradbury
Explorer

What, even using Windows 7 Computer Management? That would be bad news as I fancied swapping my Sony registered-FAT32 HD and the NTFS ScreenPlay Pro drives around. The latter has more connectivity options.

Don