Join now - be part of our community!

HDMI link between KDL-32W653a and HDD recorder RDR-DC205

AdamD75
New

HDMI link between KDL-32W653a and HDD recorder RDR-DC205

Hi

Yesterday I bought the above TV and I am thrilled with it. Great picture and all the usual Sony magic. Initially the HDD Digital Recorder DVD player was connected through a SCART. Today I replaced that with an HDMI cable. Now it seems as soon as I turn the HDD on, I lose the picture on the TV. I am also unable to watch a TV channel on the HDD into the TV. I am yet to try and record something on the HDD but in theory this should not be affected as I have not altered anything on that. Why can't I see a live TV picture on the HDMI channel and why does the main TV picture disappear when I turn the DVD HDD on?

My understanding was that I could use the TV to control the HDD DVD. Whilst the TV remote does control basic functions on the HDD DVD, the TV does not seem to be linked as smoothly as I was expecting.

If anyone can throw some light onto that I would be much obliged as I can't see anything in the user manuals.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

In regards to the no picture issue - Can you explain how you have connected everything up?

You should have:

• Main aerial cable from wall going IN to the RDR-DC205
  • A secondary aerial cable going OUT of the RDR-DC205 and into the TV
  • A HDMI cable going OUT of the RDR-DC205 and IN to the TV

In regards to the remote control issue - Im a bit confused on what the actual problem is.

What I can suggest is:

• Ensure that you have "Control for HDMI" set to on for both the RDR-DC205 and TV.
  • Goto the HDMI Set-up settings on your TV and then to something that might be called "Device Control Keys" and ensure that you have set it to include "Tuning and Menu Keys" - this should enable extra functions to control the RDR-DC205 via the TV Remote.

Hope that helps

Cheers

AdamD75
New

Thank you. That is exactly how I have the wiring set up. As soon as I turn on the RDR I lose picture on the TV. There's also no picture on the RDR. I've tried to record on the RDR but to no avail - hardly surprising when there's no picture I guess. I don't understand how the TV can have signal UNTIL the the RDR is turned on and for that to have no signal at all.

If you have any ideas I'm open to suggestions!!

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Can you test both aerial cables individually?  From Wall to TV.  Also, have a look at the signal strength and quality, to see if one cable is significantly worse than the other.  Now if they both work fine, you could try to use an aerial splitter, to feed each aerial cable to TV and RDR-DC205 individually.   Thats how I have mine set up actually.

I dont have your model HDD recorder, I have the SVR-HDT500 one, and have it as follows

Aerial.jpg

Also, see page 87 of the manual : Here

and ensure that Standby Mode is set to : Mode 2

Cheers