Join now - be part of our community!

How to play Subtitles in USB movies on KDL-40HX725?

profile.country.en_GB.title
fastapo
Explorer

How to play Subtitles in USB movies on KDL-40HX725?

Hi.

I have a KDL-40HX725 TV.

I want to play a movie through USB and turn on the subtitles.

I've tried it with a mp4 movie with subtitles in the same folder (srt, sub and ssa) without success.

Does Sony support subtitles from movies like (.mp4, .avi divx) played from USB?

Do I need to convert my Mp4 to DivX in order to work, or it would not work?

Message was edited by: fastapo

8 REPLIES 8
Bravia55HX

Hi,

does trying to get blood out of stone spring to mind?, Sony are reluctant to even do anything about this, i ave been trying myself to get them to sort it for a whole year!, see my "subtitles question to sony" further down.

many others since i joined this forum have asked to no avail. the last i heard it was being looked into but in all honesty they'll look into it then brush it to one side till its forgotten again.

fastapo
Explorer

That is the most ridiculus thing I've ever seen. I bought a TV almost 70% more expensive that any other TV with same characteristics WHICH is able to play subtitles. LOL

Catmambo
Contributor

You could use handbrake http://handbrake.fr/details.php, virtual dub or other software to hard code the subtitles into a copy of the file, granted its not as easy as streaming, but practical workaround nonetheless..

Thanks

fastapo
Explorer

Handbrake is not able to add hardcoded subtitles, I have used format factory, but for some reason, I dont know if it is because the movie is too big (4gb) the Sony TV is not playing the movie well. Is there that limitation of (2GB) maximum as well?

Catmambo
Contributor

According to the wiki it can - https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Subtitles depending on the format, otherwise a bunch of other free software which can also do this.

Not sure on a file size limitation, manual should clarify that,but you could always stream it instead if there is one?

Thanks

fastapo
Explorer

Believe me, I tried Handbrake for mp4, and it does not work. It can be the format, for sure, it means, I was not going to spend more time to discovery as formatfactory did it well for some movies, but some of then got corrupted. but then it is another problem. They say that BD player contains much better players where it can be done easily. I hope so. But will not buy sony to dont take the risk this time.

profile.country.tr_TR.title
c.a.g.l.a.r
New

Hi,

I'm using mkvmerge GUI for subtitles. Just select your video and subtitle file and create a mkv.

fastapo
Explorer

Do the mkvmerge hardcode the subtitle? Of corse not.

My SONY 3D TV does no read MKV as well, do yours? I dont think so.