Join now - be part of our community!

Intermittent Audio Return Channel

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
seano1
Visitor

Intermittent Audio Return Channel

I have recently purchased a Sony BDV-E370 Blu-ray Home Cinema System and a Sony Bravia KDL46EX703U.

Everything is great except the ARC!

I have an HDMI connection between the two. With the television on and the blu-ray off the sound comes out of the TV speakers. If I then turn on the blu-ray, the television displays ‘Audio System Active’ and turns off the TV speakers.

Only sometimes does the TV sound start to come out of the blu-ray speakers, and even when it does it sometimes then turns itself off again after a few minutes so I have no sound at all. I then have to turn the blu-ray off to get the TV speakers back.

The blu-ray plays disks fine, it is linked to the internet and plays things like BBC iPlayer fine, it also streams music from the home computer. It upgraded itself to the latest software yesterday.

Checked all the obvious settings and run out of ideas. The HDMI cable is one of the pretty cheap Amazon basic range – could it be that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pcadjb
Visitor

Hello Both,

I don't think the problem is cheap cables, the problem is compatibility with HDMI 1.4 (I believe).

The Amazon basics cable does not show that it is 1.4 compatible, therefore I cannot be sure it is.

Cheap cables are available with HDMI 1.4 compatibility.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
tristanmitchell
Visitor

Hi,

Have you managed to solve this because I'm having exactly the same issue (with a KDL-32EX403), also using an Amazon Basic HDMI cable. The ARC works fine for a certain amount of time (varies hugely) and then audio just stops. Need to switch the BVD-E370 off and back on to get it to work

seano1
Visitor

Hi - that's exactly what I was getting.

I've just fitted a better quality cable, again purchased through Amazon but sold by and shipped from HD Zne UK Ltd:

1 of 2METER PRO GOLD RED (1.4a Version, 3D) HDMI TO HDMI CABLE WITH ETHERNET,COMPATIBLE WITH 1.4,1.3c,1.3b,1.3,1080P,PS3,XBOX 360,SKYHD,FREESAT,VIRGIN BOX,, £12.99*

So far so good, but I only fitted it today!

I'll report back in a couple of days to let you know if this has solved the problem.

tristanmitchell
Visitor

Great, thanks. Somebody else suggested this to me as well so going to borrow their more expensive cable and see if it solves the issue. Kind of stupid of Amazon to recommend that cable if it's not good enough, an email to them might be in order as well!

seano1
Visitor

Well it's been fine all day now with the new cable - around about 9 hours as I've left it running. Given that the most the ARC had worked for before was less than an hour, and typically only a few minutes if at all, I'm pretty much certain the new cable has solved it.

I noticed the new cable required more of a firm push to insert it in the back of the BluRay, so it all sounds like a bad connection with the Amazon cheapy.

If it's still fine in a few days I think a warning post on Amazon will be in order!

Pcadjb
Visitor

Hello Both,

I don't think the problem is cheap cables, the problem is compatibility with HDMI 1.4 (I believe).

The Amazon basics cable does not show that it is 1.4 compatible, therefore I cannot be sure it is.

Cheap cables are available with HDMI 1.4 compatibility.

Hope this helps

tristanmitchell
Visitor

The cable I'm using is this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001T9NUJE/

which in the Product Description says that it supports the Audio Return Channel which is part of the 1.4 spec

Amazon are sending me a replacement cable so it will be interesting to see if that has the same problems

seano1
Visitor

That was the same cable I was using, and it was the cable that was the problem.

You do NOT need a special 1.4 cable to support ARC anyway, see:

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/arc.aspx

Which says in particular:

All HDMI cables will support Audio Return Channel functionality when connected to Audio Return Channel-enabled devices. You can use your existing HDMI cables or choose a different cable type.

It's the Amazon cable that is just rubbish!

seano1
Visitor

As it was the cable, updated to say my question has been answered - by myself!

Catmambo
Contributor

Good to know - seems one does have to spend a few quid on a decent cable, but not a 'Monster' amount :wink:

Thanks for updating