Join now - be part of our community!

Intermittent Audio Return Channel

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
seano1
Visitor

Intermittent Audio Return Channel

I have recently purchased a Sony BDV-E370 Blu-ray Home Cinema System and a Sony Bravia KDL46EX703U.

Everything is great except the ARC!

I have an HDMI connection between the two. With the television on and the blu-ray off the sound comes out of the TV speakers. If I then turn on the blu-ray, the television displays ‘Audio System Active’ and turns off the TV speakers.

Only sometimes does the TV sound start to come out of the blu-ray speakers, and even when it does it sometimes then turns itself off again after a few minutes so I have no sound at all. I then have to turn the blu-ray off to get the TV speakers back.

The blu-ray plays disks fine, it is linked to the internet and plays things like BBC iPlayer fine, it also streams music from the home computer. It upgraded itself to the latest software yesterday.

Checked all the obvious settings and run out of ideas. The HDMI cable is one of the pretty cheap Amazon basic range – could it be that?

15 REPLIES 15
tristanmitchell
Visitor

Just to put a spanner in the works....

Amazon's replacement cable (the same Amazon Basic cable I had before) arrived today and is working without issue.

Seems the first one I had was faulty, very odd as the Blu-Ray video signal was transmitted fine to the TV but the audio going the other way wasn't working.

technorobo
Visitor

Your problem is likely to be a faulty cable as it works sometimes. I have just bought a Sony Blu-ray BDVIZ1000W and can get no sound from the TV. Discs play without a problem. Sound is brilliant.    

My 46 in Sony is 3 years old. Information I have received is that nearly all Sony TV's over one year old are not compliant with ARC. So already I'm out of date.

profile.country.GB.title
mark-harri
New

Hello

It's been a couple of months since most of the posts here and I'm wondering if you can confirm that the new cables have solved the problem.

I have the identical problem to tristanmitchell, and an almost identical set up - KDL37EX503 to BDV-E370. Intermittent sound over ARC, and need ot turn off the BDV when the sound is lost.

There is If you guys are up and running with a better cable, I'll splash the cash myself. Think I'm on the amazon basics cable.

Thanks very much for posting an update

Mark

tristanmitchell
Visitor

Hi Mark,

I called Amazon customer support intending to ask them to give me a better cable for free. All they would do was offer me a replacement basic cable as they said it must be faulty if it didn't work.

The replacement (Amazon Basic cable: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001T9NUJE/) worked fine and has been doing so for about six weeks now.

I would try getting your faulty cable replaced before spending any more money.

Hope you get it working,

Tristan

seano1
Visitor

Just to confirm that my set up has been working perfectly too since I replaced the HDMI cable.

Cheers,

Sean

profile.country.GB.title
mark-harri
New

An mine too - thanks for the support all.

Mark