Join now - be part of our community!

Is my KDL-40NX803 an MHL-compliant HDTV?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
theracles

Is my KDL-40NX803 an MHL-compliant HDTV?

I ask this following several disappointments in attempting to stream video from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using either its own included software, or even thirdparty applications.

Before making any investment in a suitable lead to connect my phone via HDMI, I would like to know if this "hardwired" solution will work without damaging either phone or TV?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm, the only thing you can really do is google it. 

Found a Youtube link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr75UEk0Iig   - which says the Galaxy S3  works with the S4 adapter (with a power source) at 60hz

And another : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQcSLc5GJ6E

Ive been looking at your past posts on here (to jog my memory) I really dont understand why your having so many problems

PS : Do samsung actually have a community forums section?  I looked the other day, as well as LG, and could not find either?

If you purchase said adapters over the internet, remember that you have a 7 day distance selling rule, where-as if the product is not fit for purpose, you can return it

anyway, thats as much as I can advise really.

Good luck

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Looking at your TV's specifications there is no mention of MHL compliance.  To further this, your TV model is a 2010 model - MHL specification 1.0 was not released until June 2010, with the first MHL products being released in May 2011, according to the wikipedia article.

From this, I cannot see how your TV would be MHL compliant.  I understand that there are adapters around, but have not got time time to research this.

Hope that helps.

PS: List of MHL enabled products (TV's), scroll down to Sony : http://www.mhltech.org/productlist/display-devices/

profile.country.GB.title
theracles

Thanks Quinnicus: Having pestered the life out of the Samsung help desk, I think I have asked the wrong question!

Armed with my new found  knowledge, I should have asked:-

"Will I be able to view my phone's content/screen, on my television using one of the MHL adapters?"

If the answer is yes, then I have a further query:

Sammy supply two MHL adapters for this purpose, one developed for the S3 with aprox 25/30Hz output, and a later and backward compatible one for the S4 with an output of 60Hz.

The only advantage in using the S4 adapter with the S3 phone would be to gain a higher output.

Sammy cannot tell me if the S3 is configured to output 60Hz, and would expect it would more likely be in the region of 50Hz.

Can anyone advise me if I'm likely to see an appreciable difference in picture quality between 25/30Hz and the 50Hz they think may be possible using the latest (even more expensive) adapter! :laughing:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm, the only thing you can really do is google it. 

Found a Youtube link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr75UEk0Iig   - which says the Galaxy S3  works with the S4 adapter (with a power source) at 60hz

And another : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQcSLc5GJ6E

Ive been looking at your past posts on here (to jog my memory) I really dont understand why your having so many problems

PS : Do samsung actually have a community forums section?  I looked the other day, as well as LG, and could not find either?

If you purchase said adapters over the internet, remember that you have a 7 day distance selling rule, where-as if the product is not fit for purpose, you can return it

anyway, thats as much as I can advise really.

Good luck

profile.country.GB.title
theracles

Quinnicus, thank you for those links, I'll have a look, never thought to search youtube!

The problems I've experienced with the TV are mainly concerning difficulty in communicating with it.

It all started so well! The instant it was first plugged in, it latched on to my home network but that was the limit of the good news!

DLNA streaming of media from a PC though possible without outside help is terminally "picky" about the filetypes it will play! Serviio DLNA server software which was recommended here has been an excellent alternative and plays almost anything.

The USB port on the side of the TV is a mystery, I have yet to find something that will make meaningful use of it!

The arrival of my S3 trumpeted it's inate ability to stream media wirelessly to smart TV's.

Pictures and music are OK, but again, my TV refuses to play any of the video files streamed to it from the phone, not smart enough it seems!

Tried "BubbleuPnP" recommended here, but though that works, its function is not it seems, to stream the phones files to the TV, but just to relay the PC files to the TV....something Serviio already does admirably.

I have been pleased with my TV's performance ....as a TV.

The "smart" element though seems to have been abandoned by Sony.

The Sony centre who sold it to me did lead me to believe that there would be over air updates that would enhance the "smart" atributes and keep the TV "current", sadly these have not occurred.

I am very grateful for the help I continue to receive here without which my TV would communicate with little aside from its aerial!

Regarding Samsung, as my old dad used to say, "they talk a good fight"; they have a telephone help line dedicated specifically to the Galaxy Range of phones but are staffed by people who really are not technically trained, consequently they can only relay information back and forth with their technicians and such conversations are tiring.

Android and Galaxy forums are legion but the pedegree of advice on offer requires several months of shadowing posts to see who is or is not "a reliable source" of wisdom!

I have not yet formed any opinions on that!