Join now - be part of our community!

iTunes through Sony TV?

profile.country.en_GB.title
Redrup
Visitor

iTunes through Sony TV?

Can anyone tell me if I can run my iTunes through a Sony Bravia internet TV?  If so could you explain in simple terms how it can be done?  I'm not too good with technology.

Many Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14
Catmambo
Contributor

If you mean browsing iTunes via Bravia, then it's not possible as itunes is a piece of standalone software requiring windows or osx. If you mean listening to music on your idevice on your tv, then you can simply connect the two via a 3.5mm to phono cable.

Hope this helps

Redrup
Visitor

Hi Catmambo,

Many thanks for replying to my query.

I have tried plugging my iPod into the headphones slot and this did not work and I have also tried plugging into the USB slot, where it does recognise my iPod but does not read any of the contents in it.  I think this is because my songs are not mp3.

Still haven't found a solution.  I was wondering whether if I bought a Apple TV devise this may work, does anyone know if I am correct?  It is expensive and if there is a cheaper option out there I would prefer to do that.

profile.country.GB.title
Testcard

Apple TV would allow you to access your iTunes music content on your TV, provided it's on the same wireless network as your computer. You would also need the wi-fi dongle for your TV to allow it to connect to your network. I use Apple TV with my KDL-40EX503 and it works flawlessly over my network.

Redrup
Visitor

Hi Testcard,

I have my TV set up through a wired Powerline ethernet devise instead of a dongle, cheaper option.  This plugged into my router which is plugged into my computer also.  Would this work the same as the Sony dongle.  If it does, I now know what Santa will be bringing me this year.

Many thanks for your reply.

Kind regards.

profile.country.GB.title
Testcard

Hi Redrup

Sounds like it should work as long as your laptop or PC is on the same network. There are rumours of a new, updated Apple TV in the pipeline, but no delivery date as yet.

Redrup
Visitor

Many thanks again for taking the time to reply.

I'll look into a new version of the Apple TV, thanks for the tip.

Kind regards.

It seems impossible to watch the iTunes content on Sony Bravia TV directly because of the DRM protection.

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI there

Have you guys tried using the "Airplay" feature of iTunes, to stream content via DLNA?

Have a look at the following link:

http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/home-cinema-projectors-players/str-dn1040-gapless-audio-playback-fina...

Cheers

jumpsystems
Explorer

I had to buy a piece of software - TVmobili - in order to play my iTunes library. Homestream won't play DRM coded music!