Join now - be part of our community!

KDL 40CX523 - HDD Recording

profile.country.en_GB.title
a_squared10
Visitor

KDL 40CX523 - HDD Recording

Hi all

I've recently bought the above TV, and to supplement it, I bought a 500GB hitachi external hard drive to both record off the TV and load movies onto from my laptop, as I'm in the process of digitising all my old vcr tapes to clear out the clutter.

I was assured by those seemingly knowledgable' people in the store where I bought both TV and hard drive that I could actually do this with the hard drive.  owever to my great annoyance this afternoon, having registered the drive with the TV as an HDD recorder, I can now not find, access or save anything at all to/from said hard drive when it's plugged into my laptop!! it recognises what it is, but clicking on the icon simply brings up the properties window for the device!!  Help please!!

28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Without quite a bit of technical knowledge, its generally not possible to do.

Cheers

namronroom
Explorer

Can anyone sonfirm if this method will work

1 get an ext HD and match up to Sony TV

2 Record usb a program

3 Playback the program and at the same time record the playback on a PVR.

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Hi @namronroom,

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/iManuals/eng/CX52x_o32/ft_usbrec_europe.html

"Only this TV can play the data recorded on the USB HDD."

Manolo

ArferDaley

unfortunatly sony are still living in the dark ages  by not allowing you  to copy stuff to your pc etc but who knows whats going too happen now Mr Trump Is In Power  joking apart what you are wanting too do can be done but ask yourself is it worth the bother invest in a good satellite box with pvr functions ant use the smart tv as a monitor expencive monitor i know but its going too be your best course of action until sony realise their sales are droping because of the restrictions they use  good luck matey

profile.country.en_GB.title
davhoyes1
Explorer

Hello,

Thank you very much for your reply.. it is indeed really frustrating that you can not access your drive and export recorded your files.

Kind regards,

David
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @davhoyes1

Unfortunately this is not unique to Sony - Under the Dbook 6 DTT standard issued by DTG - Freeview HD Channels must be encrypted when recording.  However SD channels do not need to be encrypted, but many manufacturers encrypt these upon recording anyhow.  The BBC was the main driver behind this - which was designed as a copywrite protection mechanism.

Some information can be found:

http://dtg.org.uk/dtg/press_releases/dtg_whatsat_20091200.pdf

Cheers

namronroom
Explorer

My question just needed a reply as to whether when you play back ausb
recording from the external HD can you then record it on to a PVR

I just want a yes or No as I don't want to buy an HDD for nothing.

Namronroom
Anonymous
Not applicable

@namronroom

No - unfortunately it doesnt work that way.  Sorry

ArferDaley

i beg to differ it can be done ive done it  but its a load of hastle not worth the bother and befor anyone askes how  google is your best friend but be warned it  aint worth the bother