Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-40NX803 and Samsung Galaxy S3 Lte via DLNA

profile.country.GB.title
theracles

KDL-40NX803 and Samsung Galaxy S3 Lte via DLNA

I'm desperately hoping that you guys will once more ride to my rescue!

I have decided to join the folks in the 21st century and get myself a smartphone.

As expected it's a damn sight smarter than I am.... even though it's almost 5 months old.

I was sat in my lounge exploring it's features.. (Wife speak.."playing with it") whilst oh wise one was watching some drivel on the TV.

Suddenly the world caved in on me!

The TV programme suddenly died, and the music I was listening to blasted out through the now blacked out TV...lol, the wife's face was a picture but the language was less than ladylike!

Non the less, she was impressed!

I would  have been too, if I could have remembered how I had achieved it!

I eventually sussed out how to do it and ventured into my picture gallery.... and yes that too worked!

O a roll, I tried video, but here the wheels came off.... I got a cryptic message with the title :

"Change player", and displaying an exclamation mark in a triangle.

The body of the message read :-

"Player is not available. Check the network status and connected device"

That means nothing to me.

I'm hoping someone here will be able to guide me through it successfully :thinking:

Message was edited by: theracles

Sorry about all the edits, I was trying to correct a spelling mistake and it did something unexpected! Not sure if this additional info is pertinent, but I had a falling out with Java and uninstalled it to speed up my machine! Not yet installed it again so Serviio not working at present.

16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.GB.title
theracles

Surely someone can advise me?:smileyconfused:

profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

iPlayer is available on the device itself, sounds like the phone is trying to share iPlayer with the TV, but its not really clear what you are trying to do?

If its an issue with the phone, it might be better addressed on the Samsung boards.

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
theracles

Thanks Catmambo, when you say

Catmambo wrote:

iPlayer is available on the device itself

are you referring to the phone or the TV?

To clarify what I was doing:-

lol! just had to spend a few minutes retracing my steps!

OK, I accessed the phone's video player and selected one....it began to play.

At the top of the screen there is an icon, two tv screens with an arrow from one to 'tother.

tapping this should play the content on my TV, it works with Music and Photos, but not Video it seems....I get the messaage described on the phone's screen and I don't understand what it's asking me to do! :smileyblush:

Have looked through all screens: widgets, digits, apps and all, can't find iPlayer on the phone! :laughing:

Catmambo
Contributor

Yes iPlayer is built into the Tv itself - streaming video from a mobile to a TV is much more complicated than photos and music mainly down to processing power needed and DRM, so it may well not be possible which is why I suggested just using iPlayer which is already built into the TV. Need to connect your TV to the Internet to enable this.

Hope this helps

profile.country.GB.title
theracles

Hi Catambo, I am conversant with iPlayer on the TV and use it to watch programmes that I might have missed.

This is in no way connected to my current query.

I have personal holiday and festive family video clips on my phone therefore DRM has no relevence.

The following link is to a youtube video of the Galaxy S3 (same as my phone) streaming it's content to a SONY smart TV which is connected to a home network...as is my KDL-40NX803.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwknik1llys

Doing exactly what the guy in the video does, I get the "Processing" message on my phone, but the TV does not respond at all and then the phone displays the message I have already described:-

"Player is not available. Check the network status and connected device"

This seems to be indicating that the TV is the cause of the non performance.

profile.country.GB.title
theracles

In order to avoid this becoming a ping pong match, I contacted Samsung UK direct by email this afternoon.

I was surprised to get such a swift response, especially on a bank holiday and their response puts the ball firmly in SONY's court!

This is their response:-

If they play fine on the phone, (which they do) then the issue lies with the TV. The error message indicates that the TV does not support this file type. If this is the case, you will need to contact the manufacturer of the TV for further assistance. They may be able to offer a compatible media player, or a codec download that will allow you to play this particular file type.

Judging from the video that I linked to, SONY have a fix for this which makes the feature work.

Can Catmambo or someone at SONY please direct me to the person who can solve this for me? :cool:

Catmambo
Contributor

Ok so a number of things to try and questions.

• Are you running the latest firmware on the TV - may improve things.
  • So you can indeed stream unprotected video over DLNA, but not (particularly easily at least) things like iPlayer which you mentioned in your first post.
  • The video doesn't say what model TV they are using - you have a 2010 model and it may be that its a slightly newer version. Many of the apps like Media Remote and TV Side view were only compatible with 2011 models onwards.
  • That said, using Homestream, Serviio etc, you can pull your content directly from your PC to your TV even if its not possible for the mobile and the TV to communicate directly to use it as a remote.

Hope this helps

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll just but in here.  Can't type much,  as I'm using someone else's phone.(on holiday :slight_smile: )

Use a program called bubbleupnp from google's pläy store.  Android based.

To stream from mobile to TV.  Works good.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
theracles

Hi Catmambo, The "Software" version noted in System Information is PKG4.114EUH-0108 I don't know if that's the latest.

Don't know where iPlayer came from, I didn't mention it! :smileycrazy:

I too was wondering if it was yet another disappointment for buying this model, it seems the technology took a giant step forward with the 2011 models. :cry:

The sales guy made many rash promises of SONY's future intent to provide a steady flow of firmware updates that would bring enhanced features.................I have seen precisely none!

If it were not for the continued good picture quality, I would have upgraded to our Korean friends "Series Six" last summer which ticked all the boxes the SONY salesman promised, and more. :dizzy:

When you mention DLNA server software, in my case Serviio, are you saying that if I re-install Java to enable Serviio, it may enable this phone feature? :thinking:

I really don't know the technicalities of how the signal gets from my phone to the TV screen, I presumed it went: Phone > Router > TV using the home network.

If I introduce Serviio into the equation, would I have to "tune" the TV to the Serviio signal from my PC as you would to view files from the PC?

Effectively altering the signal routing to: Phone > Router > PC > Serviio > TV. ? :smileyeh:

Might pose the question on their forum too!

Clarity