Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-40w4220 soundproblem HDMI and Optical

m.brekke
Explorer

KDL-40w4220 soundproblem HDMI and Optical

Hello..

I have recently got a samsung bluray/home cinema, but i cant get sound from the TV on it..

Tried a bit yesterday with bought HDMI and Optical but no sound.. Tried to reset the TV to defaullt settings and then it worked for a while, as son as i turned off the TV and tried again the sound was gone!

When i turn on the cinema the sound on the TV speaker is gone and i get a message the the speaker is changed to soundsystem..

Hope somebody can help me ?

Thanks,
Mats,

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Can you please reply back with the exact model number of the TV and Home Theatre System as it will assist in giving you a better answer.

Cheers

m.brekke
Explorer

Hello.. Im sorry, the model numer is KDL-40w4220.

Thanks,
Mats

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Ensure that you have connected it as follows

• HDMI cable from TV (HDMI IN) to the Samsung System (HDMI OUT)
  • Optical cable from TV (Optical Out) to Samsung System (Optical IN)

On the TV

• Set the Speakers to "Audio System" (Settings > Setup > AV Setup > Speakers

On the Samsung System

• Set System to "TV" or something like that (consult the manual for this - as I dont have the model number)

If you are having problems, try turning OFF "Control for HDMI"

Hope that helps

m.brekke
Explorer

Hello.. 

The tv was connected as you listed, but is it nessesary to use Optical and HDMI? Does not my TV have ARC?

If I dont have ARC, the optical should do the job..?

The Home cinema is Samsung HT-E6730w

Tried with Optical and HDMI with no sound, yesterday i had to use phonocable to get the sound from the TV..

But why do I have to set the Audio System to TV? Do you mean in the settings for sound? The options there is TV or Sound System, and i tought that this needed to set at Sound System..

Thanks,

Mats

Thanks for the help..

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Your TV does not have ARC, and thats why you need that optical cable (otherwise audio cannot be fed back to the TV).

But then you also got to tell your TV to not use the TVs internal speakers but an external system otherwise the TV will use its own speakers by default (and therefore no sound). 

As well as tell the sound system to connect via the optical cable.  If you press the function button on the remote control, it will cycle through.  One option should be D.IN - use that on the Samsung to get audio via optical.

Cheers

m.brekke
Explorer

Oh, but then i got an answear to that question :slight_smile: No wonder why i couldnt get any sound from the TV with only the HDMI plugged. 

My TV changes to external speakers as soon as i turn on the sound system, this happens with or without Optical cable.. Think its the HDMI that does this?

Have tried with Optical and HDMI, with the D.IN(This happes also automatically) but no sound. If i plug in the Phonocable and changes to AUX then i get sound..

Have checked the settings for Optical cable and on the TV this is set to auto, on the sound system its set to (PCM?).. 

Really hope i can get this going with optical cable..

But the sound system is connected as "two" devices on the tv, once where its named Player 1 and the other its named BD something, connected with HDMI.. 

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im not 100% sure on why you are having so many problems to be honest. 

Connections - Yes I know we've been over them, but....  Other than the speakers, you should only have 2 cables from the Samsung HT.  A HDMI cable (HDMI-OUT) and an Optical Cable (Optical IN).  See Pic below (highlighed in red):

Example1.jpg

If you have anything connected to the HDMI IN - remove it.

Another thing I noted in the Samsung manual is this:

Example2.jpg

Set Audio Return Channel to AUTO (and not ON)

Also, Under the Audio settings of the Samsung HT, Set Speaker Selection to Home Theatre (NOT TV)

Example4.jpg

See if that works.