Join now - be part of our community!

KDL 42W653A EPG Showing "No Event Information" for many Freeview Channels

SOLVED
BarrieP
New

KDL 42W653A EPG Showing "No Event Information" for many Freeview Channels

Never, ever had this problem with a £20 Tesco branded Freeview Box, so clearly the problem is the TV, but what can be done?

27 REPLIES 27
brendand
Explorer

..a better aerial cable probably wont make any difference, the signal is digital.. fact of the matter the sony software is rubbish. i have the kdl55hx853, a £1500 TV and it cant tell me what the hell i'm watching either.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry but thats absolute nonsense.

brendand
Explorer

sorry, but justify your comment rather than just saying something is nonsense, or do you not have the intelligence to do that?

Digital signals dont improve just because you buy a so-called 'high quality cable'

Sony software is rubbish. It's clunky and does not perform. Other brands do it way better.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Awaiting your evidence to justify your comment that Sony's software is rubbish.

Cable - Digital/Analogue Not the issue.  A better quality cable (im not talking much, but not the £1 ones, a fiver or so will do just fine) will have generally better shielding - especially if you purchase a properly constructed shielded one.  The TVs tuner has build in error correcting software to filter out some of the noise, however if there is too much noise, it will "overwhelm" it. 

HDMI cables can also "leak"  and interfere with the freeview signal - I know from experience.

There are so many things that can go wrong with freeview signals/reception - to pick on the TV's software is...well... out of left field. If it was that "rubbish" this forum would be flooded with complaints.

Edit: A couple of links:

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/freeview_problems.htm

http://www.radioandtvhelp.co.uk/interference

Anonymous
Not applicable

oh and just to clarify - there is no such thing as a digital aerial cable
brendand
Explorer

..which it is hence this little forum on the same problem I've had since new - ie - 'no event information'. Which isnt a one off, it's persistent. So to cover off why the software is rubbish: 1. Clunky. This one of the worst designs going, think of a setting you want and then go find it, log each button press you need to make to get there... 2. Clunky (again). Take me to recordings. I've got 60+ recordings, I want to delete a series of 20 recording, where is multi select? No, there isnt one, you have to first press 'Menu' scroll accross to recordings, then timer or whatever to select the hdd, after which you see a list. you cant multi select, you need to select each one individually and then select options, followed by delete and confirm.. 3. Clunky (again). The Sony Entertainment Network - select this. Then head off to make a cuppa while it thinks about loading. Seriously, it's like a PC from the 90s. By the time it loads, you've lost interest. ..I could continue, compared with the competition, the software design, menu system and speed of operation of the KDL55hx853 is utter rubbish. I bought it for the picture quality only. TBH i wouldnt buy this set again. Remote control layout, typical of sony, the design hasnt changed since i got my first sony VCR back when i was 17 (i'm 36 now). a multitude of buttons laid out in a unfriendly way. have you seen it? I swapped it for the Harmony One EPG - well i think i've covered this already, however since you point out the digital signal being at fault, I use high grade cable anyway, all TVs are cabled with the exact same type. I have this godforsaken Sony, 3x LG from 32-42 in and a small 20" Samsung in the kitchen. NONE of them have the EPG issue. None. Resetting the TV makes no difference. Selecting the channel sometimes makes it display the info, but generally it does not. I had to sit and wait for a good 5 minutes last night to find out i was watching 'Murder she wrote'. I was horrified. I also have a Sony RDR (something i cant remember) HDD DVR, which doesnt have the EPG problem either. And before you mention it, no signal strength and signal quality are just hunky dorey, it's been checked. TVSideview on the iPad is what i use to find out what is on and change the channel. Actually this is another shining example of a job 1/2 done by the guys at Sony. How difficult would it be to add a button to allow it to select an item to record? others do it! But Sony, no. There's a reason why their TV market went to the dogs a few years ago.. if it wasnt for the picture quality there would be no +ve reasons to buy.. Anyway, rant over.
brendand
Explorer

..and to clarify, i'm not referring to a digital aerial cable, i'm referring to the signal being digital, no old school analogue.

profile.country.GB.title
chrisbrowe

Have to report I am getting EPG gaps too on my KDL-42W829B receiver.

Sony need to liase with Digital UK and Freeview to get to the bottom of this issue PDQ, it's infuruating. The same antenna chain and cabling is being used to support a BTTVV+ box which doesn't exhibit these problems.

Can this be handed to the engineers as soon as possible, please?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chrisbrowe 

Unfortunately for this one, your going to have to contact Sony directly yourself : HERE.  I am assuming that they will get you to do a whole host of troubleshooting.  Other than a faulty TV itself, this one really is either signal reception or interference.

If you google "No Event Information" a whole host of sites will appear with information to assist.

Also, have you looked at the information on the problem channel/s.  The Pre and Post Viterbi are key information.

Some useful information is posted : HERE

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
chrisbrowe

I will do, however the issue isn't with whole channel data, there are gaps within channels. I could understand if whole channels or muxes were missing data, the appearance of No Event Information scattered amidst valid data is peculiar. To my understanding this would seem to relate to difficulties within the receiver in assembling the PI correctly within the tables  rather than reception of the raw data.

I'll see what Sony have to say.