Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-42W829B NETFLIX AND IPLAYER NOT WORKING

profile.country.GB.title
jcshoreham
Explorer

KDL-42W829B NETFLIX AND IPLAYER NOT WORKING

Hi

BBC I-player and Netflkix stopped working on my 
KDL-42W829B about a month ago. They crash as soon as you start to view a prgramme. The BBC app flashes a message about memory.

The TV is only two years old, cable fed and fully updated. A factory reset had no effect.

I wondered if anyone else had this porblem? I honestly feel that this is the last Sony product io will ever buy at the moment.

jc

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi,

Have you tried tor refresh your internet content in the menu of your TV?

Home > Settings > Network > Refresh Internet Content

This should help to solve the problem.

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.GB.title
jcshoreham
Explorer

Hi

Yes I did.

And a full factory reset as well.

Had zero effect.

No response from Sony which is why I will never buy another Sony product in my life

jc

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

In regards to the BBC iPlayer - Sony is aware of various models of TVs that have this 'system memory limit' error message.  At the moment there is no fix for this (if ever).  It appears that the BBC keep making changes to the iPlayer app (or back-end systems) and its breaking the app on the TV. 

See:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/other-tvs/can-no-longer-play-bbc-iplayer-content-system-memory-limit...

In regards to Netflix - I have not heard of any reports for your TV (I think) - are you getting any error messages?  Another avenue is to contact Netflix themselves (email or live chat) to see if they have had any reports on their side - they would be in a better position to know - its their app after all :slight_smile:

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
jcshoreham
Explorer

I have obviously contacted NetFlix and they blame Sony.

The BBC blame Sony too.

I don't know who is to blame. I just know I wasted a lot of money on a Sony TV that does not work and that Sony does not care.

The solution it seems is to buy a non Sony TV and make sure I never buy another Sony product ever again. 

What shocks me is that Sony can produce a large screen TV that is fit for nothing but landfill after just 2 years.

This is shameful.

jc

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Theres nothing I can do to help in regards to the iPlayer app at this moment - Sony are aware of this issue.

But the Netflix app - Are you getting any error messages?  Can you actually get into Netflix itself or does it completely fail to load up?

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
jcshoreham
Explorer

Hi

The Netflix app opens and works, however one or two seconds after a video loads the app crashes. This started the same time as the IPlayer error. No error messages.

I went throught the entire process of factory resettign with the Netflix sup[port to no avail. Eventually he took the model numebr and told me it was a Sony issue.

I think Sony sold me a TV which has become obsolescent in two years. That is not going to happen again.

Jonathan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @jcshoreham

Can you please try adding the following DNS servers to the network settings on your TV

• Primary DNS = 8.8.8.8
  • Secondary DNS = 8.8.4.4

See instructions:

http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/84346/

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
jcshoreham
Explorer

Hi

I tried this but it had no effect. I have no idea why you think that changing the DNS server would have any effect at all.

I did receive this fro Sony

"With regards to your enquiry, We can confirm that Sony and BBC Iplayer are working on finding a solution for this issue. Unfortunately we do not have a date on when a solution will be available. For now, the work around mentioned in our previous email can be used. 

With regards to Netflix crashing, please note that Sony is aware of this issue and is also working with Netflix to find a solution regarding this. Unfortunately we do not have a solution yet and cannot confirm a date either. "

The work around they mentioned for the I-player does not work, which I had mentioned to them However they seem to fail to understand the gulf between "being helpful" and "trying to be helpful". I am sure you can understand this

Jonathan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @jcshoreham

Thank you for the extra information - I will try to get some more from my contacts within Sony.

Cheers