Join now - be part of our community!

Lack of apps

gek13579
Explorer

Lack of apps

Have just bought a Sony Bravia KDL-43WD756. Whilst it is a lovely tv, picture & sound are brilliant, i am really disappointed with the dismal selection of apps. I stupidly thought that all the sony smart tvs would have the same apps. What is the point! its barely a smart tv at all. Thought the mirroring would work but oh no...... not compatible with ipad. When it was installed i was told that when it updated more apps would appear, but they didn't. Does anyone know if they will ever add more apps?.

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Any apps that are not pre-installed on the TV can be found in the Opera TV store.

You are correct, screen mirroring will not work with Apple products, because Apple wants to try and buck the trend and use their own proprietory technology of AirPlay etc. Your TV is certified as a 'Miracast Display' - which is used my many manufacturers for screen mirroring.

Miracast - WD75.jpg

Cheers

gek13579
Explorer

Unfortunately most of the apps in the opera tv store are rubbish too, with the exception of Plex. Just wish the advertising was clearer as to what you are actually getting. And why not make them all android as that is clearly better all round.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I understand where you are coming from in regards to Sony making all TVs Android based etc, removing the confusions.  However Android based TVs require different hardware, which adds to the cost.  Sony (like all TV brands) make different model TVs for different price points to suit a range of budgets.

Im not going to defend Sony and its advertising/marketing material - as this is always subjective and there is always room for improvement.  This has also been raised on these forums from others too.  All I can suggest is that If you think you have been mis-sold, you will need to speak to your retailer you purchased it from.

Cheers

PS: Not a Sony employee, but a customer like you :slight_smile:

profile.country.en_GB.title
epsomdog
Explorer

I have a KDL-43WD756 and have exactly the same issues!

Sony really are struggling to produce a decent Smart TV! This is the second one I've bought where I've had issues with apps/software etc. Last year they stopped support for BBC IPLAYER on my older TV (less than 10 years old), so I bought an Apple TV hub to use as the Smart interface. Within 1min of power up, I had it set up and fully functional. It seems I will have to do the same with this new TV. 

I have no no issues with the Sony TV hardware, but the software SUCKS!

Thank gooodness Apple know what they're doing!

profile.country.GB.title
Auldgrumps
Explorer

Yes, Apple certainly know what they are doing. They don't allow mirroring to tv. They don't allow a load of apps not produced by apple to run on their devices. They are the only ones with a different charging sytem. etc.Yes , they do know what they are doing. Greedy, unhelpful, customer unfriendly money orientated. Ever tried to contact them? They will not answer unless you are a big spending business. Horrible nasty company.

profile.country.GB.title
Whitedb

I have to say that I share epsomdogs experience. My older (<10yrs) Sony smart tvs all now have Alzheimer's, their smarts have long vanished, gone is iPlayer and all other useful apps.  I will never buy another smart tv again, just one with a good display, plentiful inputs and an external set top box.  It is much cheaper to replace the external box every few years than keep getting the latest tv.   I use an Apple TV which has lots of apps and a vibrant store that has opened the device up to developers..  Plex works great along with Netflix and Amazon video is coming.  Air play works fine.  My experience of Apple has been good along with their customer service and longevity of devices.  

I also use an Amazon firestick which is great value for money but interestingly leaves you more captive to Amazon's ecosystem  than Apple devices do to Apple's.  I have no experience of Android tv.