Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-46W905A JBL SB400 Sound Bar

SOLVED
Alfien
Explorer

KDL-46W905A JBL SB400 Sound Bar

I have connected KDL-46W905A via hdmi arc to JBL SB400 Sound Bar. Selected Speakers -->Audio System but now reverts back to TV speakers stating audio system failure.

i did manage to set it up yesterday and was working fine and able to control the volume using the TV’s remote. but turn the tv on today and unable to set it to audio system.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Alfien
Explorer

hi

took the soundbar back and got it tested and it was faulty. replacement works like it should with hdmi arc or optical.

thanks for all your help.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Try switching the power off from the wall to ALL equipment for a few minutes and switching it on again.  This normally resolves issues - which is probably just a HDMI handshake issue.

Cheers

Alfien
Explorer

thx for the quick reply.

that was the first thing i did. also reset tv to factoy and still reverts back to TV speakers stating audio system failure.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm....

Try swapping the HDMI cable with another one (I am assuming you are using HDMI and that the JBL soundbar supports HDMI ARC) - as it seems like a communication error between both devices.

Can you also describe how you have connected them?

Cheers

Alfien
Explorer

i have jbl sb400 sound bar connected to hdmi arc and viginmedia cable box connected to hdmi 3 on the sony tv.

i have also tried the virgin box to hdmi 4 and hdmi 2/mhl. vigin box not connected, tried 4 different hdmi cables of different brands.

when i select sync menu and select use audio system for audio output i get the message "audio system active" message on the tv then "tv speakers active due to audio communication failure"

under inputs when i select inputs TV and then the bravia sync menu from the remote control and then choose use audio system for audio output it works fine. i can then switch to the hdmi the viginbox or the sound bar is connected to and everything works as it should do and can controll volume via sony remote. but as soon as i turn the tv off and on again the tv (when watching viginmedia via hdmi) reverts back to tv speakers instead of the audio system.

if i select inputs TV and then the bravia sync menu from the remote control and then choose use audio system for audio output and then turn the tv off and on again then the tv does stay to audio system and not revert back to tv speakers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

If I understand this correctly, its when you switch the TV off when using the VirginMedia box, thats where all your troubles start (as in TV not syncing with SB400)?

If so, it sounds like some time of HDMI switching/handshake issue

What happens when....

• You connect the virginmedia box to one of the HDMI IN's on the SB400?
  • Are there any settings on the virginmedia box to disable HDMI-CEC functions (Control for HDMI), if so, try disabling that and test.

Cheers

Alfien
Explorer

i have tried connecting the virginmedia box in to the hdmi connections in the jbl soundbar and still unable to turn the 'use audio system for audio output' under the bravia sync menu.(error: tv speakers active due to audio communication failure") when in hdmi output mode.

i have also connected the the jbl to hdmi 1/arc without vigin media box connected and still unable to turn the 'use audio system for audio output' under the bravia sync menu.(error: "tv speakers active due to audio communication failure")

but as soon as i switch to TV mode i am able to  'use audio system for audio output' under the bravia sync menu. once this is enabled i can then switch to any of the hdmi's and and the jbl works like as it should do and does not revert back to tv speakers but if i turn the tv off and then on again when in hdmi output the tv switches back to using tv speakers and not 'use audio system for audio output' and get error: "tv speakers active due to audio communication failure". so i have to switch to TV mode then 'use audio system for audio output' under the bravia sync menu and then switch to hdmi output.

so basicly if i stay in TV mode i am able to use 'use audio system for audio output' under the bravia sync menu. turn the tv off and on again and it still stays in 'use audio system for audio output' mode.

but once 'use audio system for audio output' under the bravia sync menu is activated from TV mode and i then switch to hdmi output (jbl works like it should) and then turn the tv off/on when in hdmi output mode 'use audio system for audio output' is not saved and reverts back to TV Speakers.

so im able to activate 'use audio system for audio output' under the bravia sync menu in TV mode

But not able to activate 'use audio system for audio output' under the bravia sync menu when in HDMI output mode or get the tv to remember  'use audio system for audio output' setting once the tv is turned off and on again in hdmi output. keeps reverting back to TV Speakers.

under settings/external inputs/Bravia sync settings/Bravia sync device list i can see JBL AVR with the option to enable it option active.

hope im making some kind of sense!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI there

I think it does make sense :slight_smile:  just complicated though.  However I am not sure how much I can help you on this to be honest.  It might just be one of those "quirks" that you have to live with.  Considering you have a working "work-around" - as in TV mode, maybe thats the answer.

I do have one last suggestion/test.  What happens when you use an optical cable connecting the SB400 to the TV, instead of the HDMI cable?

Other than that, maybe another forum member might have another idea?

Cheers

Alfien
Explorer

hi

took the soundbar back and got it tested and it was faulty. replacement works like it should with hdmi arc or optical.

thanks for all your help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

No problems - Im glad you've managed to resolve it.  Good luck :slight_smile: