Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-50w829... losing HD channels

SOLVED
kevinmcc297

KDL-50w829... losing HD channels

I have already sent one tv back with this same problem, and Sony "are looking into it"...

When left in standby for a long time (eg overnight) the hd channels on tv and satellite "detune" and the picture is badly pixellated.  All other channels are OK.

Simply removing the power for a few seconds brings all the channels back !

I have other hd tuners on the same aerial showing no problems; the signal stremgth is 100 on aerial, 80 on satellite, quality is 100 on both; I have latest firmware; I have performed a factory reset; I have switched off the auto retune; etc, etc.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kevinmcc297

SORTED !!!

Strange how no matter how many thing are tried there is always one more to try... and finally the problem is found.

It is my BT Vision Sports CA Module card.  It is an old card from Setanta Sports used to unscramble the BT Sports channels provided thru the BT Vision box.

Simply removing the card when the problem with HD channel tuning arises brings all the channels back perfectly, putting it back has no effect until the TV set is switched into standby, as explained in my original post.

So, if anybody else has this problem with this configuration try this solution.

One more thing... if anybody has a "direct line" to someone in Sony, not Customer Services please, who would need to know about this problem with their TVs please let me know.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

To prevent a channel rescan overnight, turn OFF "Digital Auto Service Update". 

It can be found  :  HOME > Settings > Digital Setup > Digital Auto Service Update > OFF/ON

That will prevent that particular issue, however I dont really know why the other HD Tuners are correct and this one isnt.  I can only assume (at this stage) that the other equipment does not do a channel update overnight.

Cheers

kevinmcc297

Hi,

thanks for the quick response... but I have tried that.  It made no difference. 
And the problem is on satellite as well.

Sent from Samsung Mobile on O2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh Rats!  I forgot about the satellite issue.

There is absolutely NO reason why the satellite issue would also affect the freeview signal.  So, lets see whats common, which is hard, because I do not know your setup.

Do you feed both cables via a signal booster/switch or spitters?

Are both aerial and satelite cables fed through an alternative box (such as a sky box) then fed out (loopback) to the TV?

The other equipment without the problem, do they piggyback or daisychain from the same aerial socket on the wall? If not, Im thinking a socket issue (highly unlikely though) - easy to test by adding equipment on that socket for a couple of days.

Again, highly unlikely as this is your second TV with this issue - I really doubt its a hardware fault on the TV (again).  Its gotta be with the setup or cable runs somewhere along the line.

If you can provide more information on your setup and how its all connected, it may help.

Cheers

kevinmcc297

Hi,

some good questions there...

1. satellite is direct feed; tv is loop thru BT Vision box

2. I did install a separate HD tuner into the wall socket for a few days with no problems

My initial reaction was the same as yours... cable problem, but why on satellite too, and why does switching off/on resolve the problem ?

One other point... when I installed the tv and went thru the initial setup and scans the hd channels were pixellated, but switching off/on brought them all back.

Regards,

Kevin.

kevinmcc297

Just taken the BT Vision box out of the equation... lets see what happens later ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats a good move. 

Also, Can you ensure that the aerial cables are not bundled with the HDMI Cables and are separated as far as possible.  I had an issue whereas I had a dodgy HDMI cable, which effected my aerial cables.  However even if not dodgy, there can be signal interferrence (even when my aerial cables are shielded - obviously not shielded enough!)

Cheers

kevinmcc297

OK all separated... tv on standby waiting a few hours to switch on !!!

Sent from Samsung Mobile on O2
kevinmcc297

Didnt have to wait long.

Just switched on from standby, and... all HD tv channels detuned.  Powered off/on and all come back perfectly !

Anybody having similar problem ???

Kevin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

If this is happening with absolutely no equipment connected to the TV (ie just power and aerial cables) and I note that you have the latest FW and done a factory reset, I think its time to call Sony Support on this one - as this is certainly a weird problem.

If you have another TV that you can test, using the same aerial connections and cables and it works, it would help - as I would hate to see that you get stuck in the middle of a blame game between aerials/satellite to TV.

I honestly cannot think of any other things you can try to be honest.  Unless another forum member can assist, its time for Sony Support.

Good Luck with everything, and please let us know how you get on - as im interested to know what the issue is.

Cheers