Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-50w829... losing HD channels

SOLVED
kevinmcc297

KDL-50w829... losing HD channels

I have already sent one tv back with this same problem, and Sony "are looking into it"...

When left in standby for a long time (eg overnight) the hd channels on tv and satellite "detune" and the picture is badly pixellated.  All other channels are OK.

Simply removing the power for a few seconds brings all the channels back !

I have other hd tuners on the same aerial showing no problems; the signal stremgth is 100 on aerial, 80 on satellite, quality is 100 on both; I have latest firmware; I have performed a factory reset; I have switched off the auto retune; etc, etc.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin.

19 REPLIES 19
kevinmcc297

I am waiting for Sony to respond... they advised a 48 hour response 5 days ago !

Sent from Samsung Mobile on O2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

What I have done is report this thread to Sony as a support escalation as I believe it contains useful information and hopefully you wont have to go through the same steps as you have already done.  Hopefully this also prompts a quicker response to you too.  Please ensure that you contact details are correct in your profile.

Cheers :four_leaf_clover:

kevinmcc297

Thank you.

Sent from Samsung Mobile on O2
kevinmcc297

Called Sony again this morning as the hd channels are missing again... they didnt call me, shame on you Sony.

Apparently they want to send an engineer out to "fix" the tv, but unless it plays ball with the engineer he wont see much wrong with it.  Then he will take it away to investigate further.

I have refused this offer and asked for more info from the Technical Team who reviewed my problem, eg am I the only person with this problem (on 2 tvs remember) or have they had similar problems and know exactly how to fix it ?

If I get no proper response I am afraid the tv will go back for a refund... which is a shame as I love it !

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have passed this onto Sony. However, if it was me, I would not have refused a home visit.  If this problem is indeed unique (of which there is a possibility it is), there is no way for an engineer to replicate the problem in 'the lab'.  It might have been better for a skilled engineer to determine what the actual issue is, in the environment that the TV is sitting at - whether its the actual tv or another external factor.  Hope this makes sense?

Either way, hopefully this time they will contact you, and explain the next step in the process.

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kevinmcc297 

Hi there

Were you given a case number?  If so, can you please PM me with it, as it makes it easier.

Thanks.

kevinmcc297

So after waiting 3 more days for Sony to respond... I called them (bad customer service again Sony).  And this time was convinced to arrange an engineer visit.

Engineer just been and confirmed that tv is faulty (remember this is the 2nd tv with same fault!)

Now need to arrange return and refund.

Do I go for a 3rd tv or change to Samsung ???

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Thanks for the update - interesting to know how you got on.  If I was a betting person, I would have lost.  The odds are against two TVs having this exact problem!  In regards to Sony vs Samsung, this is a decision that is entirely your choice, however ultimately you are the one that needs to be happy.  However I have the principal of three strikes (your at two! :slight_smile: )

Cheers

kevinmcc297

SORTED !!!

Strange how no matter how many thing are tried there is always one more to try... and finally the problem is found.

It is my BT Vision Sports CA Module card.  It is an old card from Setanta Sports used to unscramble the BT Sports channels provided thru the BT Vision box.

Simply removing the card when the problem with HD channel tuning arises brings all the channels back perfectly, putting it back has no effect until the TV set is switched into standby, as explained in my original post.

So, if anybody else has this problem with this configuration try this solution.

One more thing... if anybody has a "direct line" to someone in Sony, not Customer Services please, who would need to know about this problem with their TVs please let me know.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Brilliant - thanks for letting us all know. 

Always good to hear success stories !