Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-55EX723 Sound Quality

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
TezzaV114
Visitor

KDL-55EX723 Sound Quality

I have recently bought a KDL-55EX723.  The picture is fantastic, but the sound is dreadful.  There is very little bass, and even with the volume around 40-50 it's still not very loud.  The retailer reckons this is what TVs are like now, as they are so thin they can't have decent speakers in them.  Is that really the case, or is something wrong with either the TV or the set up?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KDL-CX520
Visitor

All LCD Brands nowadays suffer from poor sound quality, specially of BASS which is limited by speakers diameter and its magnet weight in addition to small room behind the speakers (TV cabient)

By tweak the sound setting such as surround ON/OFF the treble will be improved but not BASS

Because your TV is new the default setting of Bass and treble are +10 ... you may change it to MAX...In the intital setting TV will ask you which type of mount you are using - wall mount or table stand...this setting determine how the processor reproduce the BASS

Personally I connect my TV to home theater to improve the audio quality

regards,

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
KDL-CX520
Visitor

All LCD Brands nowadays suffer from poor sound quality, specially of BASS which is limited by speakers diameter and its magnet weight in addition to small room behind the speakers (TV cabient)

By tweak the sound setting such as surround ON/OFF the treble will be improved but not BASS

Because your TV is new the default setting of Bass and treble are +10 ... you may change it to MAX...In the intital setting TV will ask you which type of mount you are using - wall mount or table stand...this setting determine how the processor reproduce the BASS

Personally I connect my TV to home theater to improve the audio quality

regards,

Bravia55HX

Hi,

i agree with KDL-CX520, the thinner tv's become the smaller the speakers are, and most are downward firing speakers, the only real solution if this becomes an issue for some is to invest in a soundbar, not everyone will or want to go the whole home cinema route and clutter up the room with speakers.

ollie101
Visitor

Hi,

Tezza i have the same tv if its loudness you want put the volume offset to the top...it boosts the power they put up, i rarely have my volume past 4. Also loud listenig will wear in the speakers giving better sound. They arent as tinny as when i first got the set but the speakers are certainly better than our kdl-ex403 downstairs and better than the nx703 next door

TezzaV114
Visitor

Thanks you all for your comments, much appreciated and very useful.

I must admit I'm disappointed with the TV -  I read loads of reviews before purchase, and none of them mentioned sound quality!

That said, I'm going to invest in a soundbar now.  Can anyone recommend a good one that does justice to Sony TVs?  Budget £300 - £400.

Thanks!

Bravia55HX

Hi again,

this is not something you want to rush into  because if you get it wrong you will not be much better off,

best advice here would be to audition a few and see what they sound like or you could buy a Sony A/V reciever and build your own kit up, Richer Sounds is a good place to look, they had a blinding Sony amp on there for a couple of hundred, i started mine off that way bought the front floorstanders first, then the centre, the rears and a sub after that, but if space is at a premium then a soundbar it is!,

personally, with a tv that size i'd go the whole hog!, but then, i did anyway!!.

KDL-CX520
Visitor

Hello,

Regarding Soundbar, While they're sleek, compact, and deliver much better sound than the average television speakers, sound bars by themselves cannot deliver full-range sound. Their cabinets and drivers are simply too small to produce deep bass. So if your sound bar doesn't come with subwoofer, you'll also want to get a powered subwoofer for maximum impact. All sound bars let you connect a sub, and some systems include one. A few even give you a wireless subwoofer that you can easily (i don't like the wirless one because it distort the signal and reduce single to noise ratio S/N)

Look for a PC speakers 2.1 from branded names, which will be within your budget, with frequency response range closed to 40hz~16khz with gain more than 100dB.

in addition, in TV setting you can enable both sound out from TV speakers and external speakers simultaneously, so you will have total 4 speakers + 1 subwoofer working together as a surrounding system

Message was edited by: KDL-CX520

Message was edited by: KDL-CX520

LowTech
Explorer

Me too. Just bought 49WD751 and the sound is atrocious. Somebody told me (Curry's) if  I wanted decent sound 'get a Sony' but this was not good advice; it's a thin TV and it's a thin reedy sound. Why produce an HD tv with loads of features..... except it's unbearable to listen to out of the box?  Pathetically it only has a 3.5mm Audio Out so the regular quality Phono HiFi connector isn't catered for either (just the digital out, otherwise).

Sound Bars? More equipment amps/speakers to leave on standby 24/7? Why?

I do not recommend this TV on sound quality alone but the recomendadtion didn't say much about other flat screen TVs either. My last flat screen was not thin but sound was teriffic; really full and realistic (& that one was a 'generic' shop-branded' TV).