Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-55W905A

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
scifynut
Explorer

KDL-55W905A

Hi I have just bought this tv KDL-55W905A and it is great but having a problem with the USB sound output.

I have it connected to an Onkyo cinema system and  the tv speakers  switched off,all is good with sound apart from the USB.Whenever I play a movie from the USB port the sound will only output to the tv speakers and not the Onkyo amp,tried numerous settings without success.Is there a procedure to go through to obtain this or is it not possible.Help would me much appreciated thankyou.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Looking into it, as you are probably aware, the Onkyo does not support HDMI-ARC functions, therefore you will need two cables connected to the TV.

Connect as follows:

1. HDMI cable from Onkyo OUT to TVs HDMI IN (doesnt need to be HDMI 1, but good anyhow)
  2. Optical cable from TV's Optical OUT to Onkyo Digital Optical IN (Opt 1)

On the TV

• You will need to ensure that TV Speakers = "Audio System" - See HERE
  • And ensure Digital Audio Out = Auto - See HERE

On the Onkyo

• You will need to configure the "TV" source button to Opt 1 - See page 36 of the Onkyo manual : HERE

When Playing a file froim the USB drive on the TV, you will need to ensure that you select the source as "TV" from the remote control.

This "SHOULD" then work, Watch StarTrek !

Hope this helps

Cheers

View solution in original post

profile.country.GB.title
scifynut
Explorer

Ok home button sorted now,just turned of syncing.Thanks

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

A few more details:

• Whats the model of the Onkyo?
  • Does the Onkyo support HDMI-ARC?
  • Have you connected the HDMI cable on the TV using HDMI 1 - ARC?
  • Can you here sound from the Onkyo using Freeview on the TV?

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
scifynut
Explorer

Hi thanks for your quick response.The Onkyo model is tx sr 307 without  audio pass through so i use optical cables for the sound.I have the HDMI cable as you say onto HDMI 1 which is ARC.I have not set up freeview yet i just use the skybox.When i use tv speakers only and use usb it switches sound output  ok but if using the av system then  use usb all you get is the sound from the channel your already on no sound output from the usb stick.thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Looking into it, as you are probably aware, the Onkyo does not support HDMI-ARC functions, therefore you will need two cables connected to the TV.

Connect as follows:

1. HDMI cable from Onkyo OUT to TVs HDMI IN (doesnt need to be HDMI 1, but good anyhow)
  2. Optical cable from TV's Optical OUT to Onkyo Digital Optical IN (Opt 1)

On the TV

• You will need to ensure that TV Speakers = "Audio System" - See HERE
  • And ensure Digital Audio Out = Auto - See HERE

On the Onkyo

• You will need to configure the "TV" source button to Opt 1 - See page 36 of the Onkyo manual : HERE

When Playing a file froim the USB drive on the TV, you will need to ensure that you select the source as "TV" from the remote control.

This "SHOULD" then work, Watch StarTrek !

Hope this helps

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
scifynut
Explorer

Thanks.I will look into it now,funny when you mentioned freeview i tuned them in and also get no sound through amp,sound still coming from existing channel on hmi 1 even when switched to tv.thanks i/ll give it another bash.

profile.country.GB.title
scifynut
Explorer

Quinnicus Thats done the trick,thanks,sound from usb stick now.One more thing when i push the home button the bluray player turns on and not the home screen,home screen does not work directly,any thoughts ta.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there

Glad the audio is now working. 

Scratching my head on your other problem though.  I am wondering if the same remote code is being transmitted for the bluray as well?  What happens if you "block" of the infrared port on the bluray?  Also what happens if you disconnect the power on the wall to the bluray?  Does the Home button function as normal?  What Make/Model bluray player do you have anyhow?

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
scifynut
Explorer

Ok home button sorted now,just turned of syncing.Thanks