Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-EX653: a problem or two

profile.country.FI.title
JCFast
New

KDL-EX653: a problem or two

Hello,

I recently bought a KDL-46EX653 and I'm having some trouble, Sony's staff won't help me so if you'd be kind enough to help me?

First up is the Motionflow: how do I turn it completely off in this thing? What's the option that completely controls its existance? I have now tried everything, different screen modes like the normal, movie and even gaming, but to no avail. I've tried messing with all the picture settings, film-mode and what-nots, not helping. I've turned everything off from the menus, still some movies look like soap operas.

I mean it's only 100hz Motionflow to begin with, Sony hasn't even felt the need to put a specific button for it in this model, in other models there's a Motionflow option directly. Any ideas?

Second question is related to the Conax modules, CAMs and CI+s, or whatever they're called, but here you need to have one of those hooked up so you can view the premium cable channels. Well I've got a CI+ module in but it keeps loosing touch with the TV, there's no problem the module itself, but the TV refuses to do the whole "Recognizing the host and the module"-process  sometimes. This means that I have to go and unplug the thing and put it back so that the TV will finally have to do the process. Anyone else having this problem?

And lastly I'd just like to voice in my slight disappointment at the whole ordeal of getting a new TV. I was happy with my previous Sony TV but time had moved on and I needed a newer, bigger model. So I went for a Sony again, and have had a lot of issues. First it was getting used to the bad quality of the panel, vertical banding is very noticiable when watching sports like football, those bright vertical stripes and smudgyness that follows when the camera pans against a solid colour like a football pitch are a lot to get used to.

If these problems sound like they can only be in my set, please let me know quick! I still have a few days to return this thing for a new one.

Thank you!

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.FI.title
JCFast
New

No one? What does that film-mode in picture settings do by the way? It only has 'Off' and 'Auto' as options, would 'Auto' mean that it tries to judge whether the signal is from a movie or not, and then put in some motion interpolation if it's not?

profile.country.FI.title
JCFast
New

This is getting frustrating, Sony's Customer Support hasn't answered back to my emails nor their local Warranty Repair Service company, and it's been already a couple of weeks.

And now nobody here either?

What can I do anymore? Other than never buy Sony again?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi JCFast,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

Unfortunately it would appear that users from the community do not know the answers to your questions, I'll see if I can get an answer from Sony, if & when I get a reply I'll post again..

profile.country.FI.title
JCFast
New

Thanks Thalamus, appreciated.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi JCFast,

unfortunately not much info I'm afraid but I have found that it's not possible to adjust the motion flow settings on 100hz EX models, however it may be worth searching around the net as there are probably several reviews/forums listing their suggested optimal picture settings, here is one example - Recommended Settings

Being in the UK I have not much info on your second question perhaps your cable provider may be able to assist..:smileyconfused:

profile.country.FI.title
JCFast
New

Thanks for the input Thalamus.

That's pretty awful that they'd not give us any chance to control that annoying Motionflow. I've tried searching a lot, but somehow this year's EX models have gone pretty much unnoticed. Or that the people buying them aren't exactly the type to online about it.

That article really doesn't help me much, but thanks.

Now I've also noticed a couple more problems. If I keep the picture area as full on SD content, some channels show this weird black and white horizontal bar in the upper left corner, it's maybe 1cm x 15cm. And on some SD content I get these white little artefacts randomly popping in and out, as if the picture quality would be that bad...

Shouldn't be the cable providers fault, didn't have these issues with my old model and in any of my other TVs. And those modules have worked just fine on every other TV than this and the previous Sony one.

You could try answering my emails now Sony, can't return it to the store anymore.

profile.country.en_GB.title
Bravia55HX

Hi,

the little black and white bar your referring to is for pending adverts, it comes up just before the adverts in each program however it does not show on mine, set your screen format to full and see if that helps, if you have a function in screen settings that says Auto display area set that to on, if that does not lose the bar im not sure what else will other than adjusting the screen position also under screen settings ( if you have it ).

profile.country.FI.title
JCFast
New

Ah ok, yeah I have to lower the screen area a bit, one step from the complete.

profile.country.uk_UA.title
solsky
New

Hi,

It looks like interlacing problem, but I think Sony have just bad up-scaling.

Maybe they can fix this by firmware update.

Try write email to technical support,

this is general problem for both model 2012 :

KDL-40EX653 and KDL-40HX753.

I saw already few complaints about.

http://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/787551

It's happen to my KDL-40EX653, I wrote before:

http://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/803874

I just return my KDL-40EX653.

Sony only good for High definition 1080 or 720.

if you watching DVD, digital TV (576i) , let's say standard definition,

take Philips or Samsung,

Those TV more universal, it's good for any resolution SD and HD.